Vegan Potato Tacos
These vegan potato tacos are full of crispy potatoes, creamy avocado, and plenty of chopped veggies! These are easy to assemble, and you can customize them with just the right level of spicy flavor!
There is a local taco place here in Richmond that has a fantastic potato taco that I love, and it occurred to me that I could recreate it at home! These vegan potato tacos are a delicious dinner, but they could also be served as breakfast tacos! I’ve found that it’s tricky to find vegan breakfast tacos (since so many contain eggs) so these are great if you’re looking for a plant-based option!
Vegan Potato Taco Ingredients
- Potatoes– I recommend using a medium russet potato.
- Vegan butter– I used Earth Balance but I also love Miyokos vegan cultuered butter. If you’re not vegan, you can use regular butter.
- Red onion– A little diced red onion adds a lot of flavor.
- Bell pepper– I love the hint of sweetness this adds to the filling.
- Tortillas– I used corn tortillas but you can use corn or flour.
- Pico de gallo– A fresh salsa pairs so well with the cirspy potatoes.
- Avocado– Creamy avocado is a must! The texture is perfect with these tacos.
- Salsa– I liked adding a salsa verde, (green salsa) on top of these tacos for even more flavor.
- Hot sauce– Optional but great if you like it spicy!
Tips for Perfect Potato Tacos
- If I happen to have a little bell pepper or red onion on hand, I’ll toss it in with the potatoes. But don’t stress if you don’t have one or you don’t feel like chopping an onion for just a couple of tablespoons. You can leave it out!
- You can serve these in corn or flour tortillas, but keep in mind that flour tortillas tend to be larger, so you’ll have to make fewer tacos. I’ve made this recipe to serve two people, but you can use the recipe scale below to change it to four or six.
I like to shred my potatoes on a box grater, but you could also buy pre-shredded potatoes (like hash browns) in the frozen food aisle if you prefer! Some frozen hashbrowns also contain onions and bell peppers, making this recipe even easier!
As I mentioned, you can use frozen hashbrowns instead of shredded your own potatoes. I like the combination of pico de gallo and salsa verde, but you can use whatever salsa you have on hand. I used corn tortillas but flour, corn, or whole wheat tortillas will work just fine.
How to Get Perfectly Ripe Avocados
- I like to pick out avocados when they’re still quite firm. Most of the time, if they’re already ripe in the store, they’re like to be bruised.
- To ripen avocadoes faster, keep them in a brown paper bag with bananas! The ethylene gas released from the bananas will help soften the avocados faster.
- Once the avocados are soft, put them in the fridge. This will keep them at their peak of ripeness for much longer. You’ll be surprised how long an uncut avocado can last in the fridge.
The Best Sauce for Tacos
If you’re a hot sauce lover, these tacos are great with a smoky chipotle hot sauce! You could also drizzle a little bit of this sweet and smoky chipotle vinaigrette on top if you like things spicy. Another option is this easy cilantro sauce which is perfect on just about any taco.
More Taco Ideas
- Vegan Broccoli Tacos– It may sound crazy but these roasted broccoli tacos are insanely good.
- Vegan Brussels Sprout Tacos– A spicy chili sauce is the secret to these addictive tacos.
- Butternut Squash Tacos– Crispy chickpeas and sweet butternut squash are a wonderful combination.
- Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos– These spicy vegan tacos can be made in the oven or the air fryer for an easy dinner!
These vegan potato tacos are packed with crispy potatoes, creamy avocado, and plenty of chopped veggies! These are easy to assemble and you can customize them with your favorite toppings!
- 1 medium russet potatoes (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance spread or butter (if not vegan)
- 1 tablespoon diced red onion (optional)
- 2 tablespoons diced bell pepper (optional)
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/3 cup pico de gallo
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 3 tablespoons salsa verde
- Hot sauce, if desired
- Peel and scrub the potatoes, then shred it using a box grater or food processor.
- In a large non stick skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat until melted.
- Add the shredded potatoes, onion, and bell pepper to the skillet and use the back of a spatula to press the potatoes into a thin layer, evenly across the pan.
- Cook for 7-8 minutes until the bottom is golden brown, then flip and continue to cook for 6-7 minutes until the potatoes are golden brown and crisp on both sides.
- Divide the potatoes evenly into the tortilla shells.
- Top with avocado, salsa, and hot sauce if desired.
The red onion and bell pepper are totally optional. If I happen to have some on hand, I’ll toss it in with the potatoes.
I highly recommend salsa verde, which is a green salsa, but feel free to use red salsa if you prefer that.
Keywords: vegan potato tacos
Side Dish Ideas
- Try serving your potato tacos with this Mexican street corn salad! All the flavors of street corn in a less messy format.
- You could also try this black bean and corn salad, which is excellent as a side dish or served with tortilla chips!
- This vegan chili verde soup is a great side dish that only takes a few minutes to put together!
What’s your favorite kind of taco?