Vegan Potato Tacos
These vegan potato tacos are full of crispy potatoes, creamy avocado, and plenty of chopped veggies! These are easy to assemble, and you can customize them with just the right level of spicy flavor!
There is a local taco place here in Richmond that has a fantastic potato taco that I love, and it occurred to me that I could recreate it at home! These vegan potato tacos are a delicious dinner, but they could also be served as breakfast tacos! I’ve found that it’s tricky to find vegan breakfast tacos (since so many contain eggs) so these are great if you’re looking for a plant-based option!
Tips for perfect vegan potato tacos
- I like to shred my potatoes on a box grater, but you could also buy pre-shredded potatoes (like hash browns) in the frozen food aisle if you prefer!
- If I happen to have a little bell pepper or red onion on hand, I’ll toss it in with the potatoes. But don’t stress if you don’t have one or you don’t feel like chopping an onion for just a couple of tablespoons. You can leave it out!
- You can serve these in corn or flour tortillas, but keep in mind that flour tortillas tend to be larger, so you’ll have to make fewer tacos. I’ve made this recipe to serve two people, but you can use the recipe scale below to change it to four or six.
These vegan potato tacos are packed with crispy potatoes, creamy avocado, and plenty of chopped veggies! These are easy to assemble and you can customize them with your favorite toppings!
- 1 medium russet potatoes (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance spread or butter (if not vegan)
- 1 tablespoon diced red onion (optional)
- 2 tablespoons diced bell pepper (optional)
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/3 cup pico de gallo
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 3 tablespoons salsa verde
- Hot sauce, if desired
- Peel and scrub the potatoes, then shred it using a box grater or food processor.
- In a large non stick skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat until melted.
- Add the shredded potatoes, onion, and bell pepper to the skillet and use the back of a spatula to press the potatoes into a thin layer, evenly across the pan.
- Cook for 7-8 minutes until the bottom is golden brown, then flip and continue to cook for 6-7 minutes until the potatoes are golden brown and crisp on both sides.
- Divide the potatoes evenly into the tortilla shells.
- Top with avocado, salsa, and hot sauce if desired.
The red onion and bell pepper are totally optional. If I happen to have some on hand, I’ll toss it in with the potatoes.
I highly recommend salsa verde, which is a green salsa, but feel free to use red salsa if you prefer that.
Keywords: vegan potato tacos
If you’re a hot sauce lover, these tacos are great with a smoky chipotle hot sauce! You could also drizzle a little bit of this sweet and smoky chipotle vinaigrette on top if you like things spicy!
Side Dish Ideas
- Try serving your potato tacos with this Mexican street corn salad! All the flavors of street corn in a less messy format.
- You could also try this black bean and corn salad, which is excellent as a side dish or served with tortilla chips!
- This vegan chili verde soup is a great side dish that only takes a few minutes to put together!
What’s your favorite kind of taco?