5 Minute Corn Salsa
This easy corn salsa recipe is the perfect dip for taco night! This Chipotle corn salsa copycat only takes a few minutes to make.
I’ve always loved the corn salsa from Chipotle and since they posted the ingredients online, I knew it wouldn’t be too hard to recreate! After trying a version with roasted poblano peppers, I realized that this recipe was much easier and much faster with just jalapeños. You can certainly add the poblano peppers if you like, but I found that it didn’t add a lot in terms of flavor, and leaving them out really simplified this recipe.
This corn salsa recipe only takes about 5 minutes to make. Just a bit of vegetable chopping is all it takes! This recipe can also be made in advance, so it’s great to serve at a party. I actually think it tastes even better after sitting in the fridge for a few hours!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- White Corn– I used white corn because I wanted it to look similar to Chipotle’s corn salsa. But if you don’t have white corn, yellow corn works, too. I used a 15oz can of corn, but you could substitute 2 cups of frozen corn.
- Jalapeño- I recommend tasting the jalapeño to check the heat. If you want to kick things up a notch, add the seeds. If you want to make the recipe milder, remove the seeds.
- Red onion– Red onion adds a little bite to this salsa. I recommend finely dicing it. You could substitute with a small shallot instead, if desired.
- Cilantro– Fresh cilantro is essential for this recipe! Don’t substitute dried cilantro, which lacks flavor. If you don’t like the taste of cilantro, chop up a few fresh green onions instead. (Use the green parts only.)
- Lime juice– A fresh squeeze of lime juice adds flavor and brightens the overall recipe.
- Lemon juice– Chipotle uses both lime juice and lemon juice so that’s what I used. But you can use just lime juice if you don’t have fresh lemons on hand.
- Salt- I prefer coarse kosher salt for this recipe, but table salt is fine too.
What’s the difference between white corn and yellow corn?
The only significant difference between white corn and yellow corn is the color. There isn’t much of a taste or nutritional difference. As long as you’re buying sweet corn, it doesn’t really matter if it’s white or yellow. I used white corn because that’s what you’ll find at Chipotle, but you can use either type of corn for this recipe. Feel free to use canned or frozen corn.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does this taste like Chipotle’s corn salsa? I think it’s pretty close! If you want to make an exact copycat, add a roasted poblano pepper. That’s the only missing ingredient!
- Can I make it in advance? Yes! This keeps in the fridge for up to 3 days, but I think it tastes best on the first day. If you’re making it for a party, I recommend preparing it an hour or two in advance and keeping it in the fridge. You may want to double the batch if you’re making it for more than a few people.
- Can I use frozen corn? Yes! Substitute 2 cups of frozen white or yellow sweet corn.
- How can I make it spicier? Add an additional jalapeño for a spicier flavor.
- Can I make it milder for kids? Yes! Leave out the jalapeño or substitute with a bell pepper instead.
- Can I add avocado? You can add an avocado to this recipe or try my avocado and corn salsa!
This salsa is great with tortilla chips, but you can also serve it with mini sweet peppers or pita chips. It also makes a delicious topping for lentil tacos or black bean burgers. Not sure what else to serve with this on taco night? Try making my pinto bean soup for something new!
More Salsa & Dip RecipesPrint
This easy corn salsa recipe is the perfect dip to serve with tortilla chips! This Chipotle corn salsa copycat only takes a few minutes to make!
- 1 15oz can sweet corn, drained (white or yellow corn is fine)
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, jalapeño, cilantro, red onion, lime juice, lemon juice, and salt.
- Taste and add additional salt if needed.