Easy Pineapple Salsa
This easy pineapple salsa is sweet and crunchy! It’s a delicious dip for chips, but it’s also great on tacos or veggie burgers!
The other day, I wanted to make salsa, but I found myself tomato-less. Salsa without tomatoes? Was it possible? Spoiler alert: Yes, it’s possible. This sweet and spicy pineapple salsa is delicious with your favorite tortilla chips, but it’s even great on top of a black bean burger. I’ve also eaten it with a fork, but that’s nothing new.
I made this over Memorial Day weekend, and it was a perfect cookout side dish because it was easy to make ahead of time. You can even make it a day in advance, and it’ll only get better. Just keep it in the fridge in an airtight container until you’re ready to serve it.
How to Pick a Good Pineapple
According to Healthline, “A ripe pineapple should have a firm shell but be slightly soft with a bit of give when you squeeze it. Pineapples that are completely solid or hard when squeezed are unlikely to be fully ripe. Ripe pineapples should have a firm shell that is slightly soft when squeezed.” Of course, you could also buy pre-cut pineapple to save yourself some time! Look for a bright yellow color with no visible bruises or browning.
- If you like things extra spicy, you can add more jalapeno. If you want to keep it milder, skip the jalapeno altogether.
- If you don’t have a red onion, you can substitute a shallot instead. This will also have a more mild flavor if you don’t like the taste of raw onions.
- You could use a yellow or orange bell pepper in place of red. I don’t recommend green peppers, because they aren’t as sweet.
Once you’re done chopping your ingredients, this comes together quickly! Technically you could make this with cans of diced pineapple and save a few minutes of chopping, but I recommend fresh if possible.Print
This easy pineapple salsa is a perfect dip with tortilla chips but it’s also tasty on top of a black bean burger or tacos!
- 3 cups diced pineapple (about 1 pineapple)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, diced
- 1 lime
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Salt to taste
- Combine the pineapple, pepper, onion, and jalapeno in a large bowl.
- Juice the lime over the fruits and vegetables.
- Sprinkle with cumin and stir.
- Add a pinch of salt, or to taste.
Keywords: Pineapple Salsa
How to Serve Pineapple Salsa
This pineapple salsa is perfect when you’re looking for a salsa without tomatoes, or you’re craving something on the sweet side. I mentioned it would be good on a black bean burger, but it would also be delicious on tacos and salads!
Got a little extra pineapple? Pop it in the freezer and make this coconut mango smoothie for breakfast!
If you’re looking for another taco-friendly side dish, try this Mexican street corn salad! It’s one of my most popular recipes for a reason!