These 5 ingredient black bean enchiladas only take a few minutes to assemble so they’re a perfect vegetarian weeknight recipe!
The other day, I was craving Mexican food and I decided to whip up some enchiladas. When I got out all the things I needed, I realized how easy these were going to be! 5 ingredients, that’s it!
This recipe made 10 enchiladas, plenty for Alex and I to eat for lunch plus a few to have for leftovers. Don’t you love having leftovers? We both agreed these were delicious on their own but I feel like they’d be even better served with this Mexican street corn salad. Or maybe I just love having an excuse to make that salad? Let’s just say, it’s one of my most popular recipes for a reason!
Here are a few tips to ensure your enchiladas turn out perfectly every single time!
- It helps if the enchiladas are packed pretty tightly within the pan. Don’t worry if they don’t line up perfectly, but I find that sometimes it’s easier to use two smaller baking dishes rather than one large tray.
- To make sure your tortillas don’t crack, it can be helpful to warm them up for just a few seconds in the microwave. I like to heat them up with a damp paper towel on top for just 10-15 seconds. When they’re warm, they’re a little more pliable.
- Don’t stuff your tortillas too full, or they’re crack and the filling will spill out. Error on the side of less filling. If you have some leftover, you can always stuff a few additional tortillas!
- I really like the Herdez brand of salsa verde but you can use whatever brand or type you like. Just watch the spice level because this requires quite a bit of sauce. I’d recommend mild or medium.
5 Ingredient Black Bean Enchiladas
These black bean enchiladas require just a few ingredients and a few minutes of prep! You’ll have a meatless dinner ready in no time.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 10
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 15oz can black beans
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup salsa verde or green enchilada sauce
- Salsa, sour cream, or cilantro (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Wrap the corn tortillas in plastic wrap and microwave them for 30 seconds. This will lightly steam them so you can roll them without them cracking.
- Fill each tortilla with a few tablespoons of black beans and two tablespoons of cheese. Don’t fill them too full or you won’t be able to roll them up. You should end up using about 2/3 of the cheese as filling.
- Roll them and place them in a baking dish, seam side down. It helps if you have a baking dish that is the width of the tortillas so they stay snug.
- Keep lining them up until you reach the edge of the pan. I made one larger pan and one smaller pan since all of mine didn’t fit in one pan.
- Pour the salsa verde over the wrapped tortillas.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese has completely melted.
- Top with avocado and serve immediately.
Keywords: black bean enchiladas
These are gluten free and vegetarian but they were quite filling thanks to all the beans! Don’t you love quick and easy recipes? I’ll definitely be making these again soon!
Looking for a vegan version? Try these vegan black bean enchiladas! You might not even miss the cheese!