Mexican Quinoa Bake
There were a few recipes from the blog that I just had to put in my cookbook. I couldn’t leave out some of the staples that I find myself making on busy weeknights when I’m digging around the pantry checking to see what canned goods I can turn into a delicious dinner. This Mexican Quinoa Bake is one of those recipes. Not only is it super easy, but there are plenty of substitution options you can make with no problem!
I created this recipe years ago when I wanted to make something that was a balance of protein, carbs, and fats. I wanted to take the cheese out of the spotlight and use it for flavor rather than the main event. The quinoa is higher in protein than your typical white (or brown) rice and the beans provide both protein and fiber. It’s also gluten-free!
Looking for an easy way to prepare quinoa? Try cooking quinoa in a rice cooker!
Once you cook your quinoa, this comes together quickly! Just add your ingredients in a bowl.
Stir it up to make sure all the spices get evenly mixed.
Then add everything into a pan and sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil before baking.
The other reason I love this recipe is that it’s so easy to substitute ingredients. No pepper? Add a little more onion. No onion? Add a little more pepper. No cheese? Leave it off! No avocado, just serve with more salsa. You really can’t go wrong.
This Mexican quinoa bake is an easy gluten free, vegetarian dinner recipe! Loaded with vegetables, beans, and quinoa, this is a recipe that will keep you full!
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 1/2 cup salsa (any type)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup sweet corn (frozen is fine)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch chipotle (optional)
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup guacamole or avocado (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse the quinoa and then add it to a pot with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
- While that cooks, dice the pepper and onion and toss them in a large frying pan, cooking over medium heat for 5 minutes. It doesn’t need to fully cook, just soften them a bit.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, stir in the salsa, black beans, corn, peppers, onions, garlic, cumin, and chipotle.
- Add to a glass baking dish and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake for 5 minutes.
- Top with cilantro and avocado, if using.
Keywords: Quinoa Bake
This recipe comes together really easily but it’s still healthy & delicious! Alex and I actually split this up into two smaller casserole dishes and decided to save one for the weekend. This is definitely a good one for leftovers if you don’t eat it all at once.
Looking for a tasty side dish to serve with this Mexican Quinoa Bake? Try this Mexican Street Corn Salad!
Want to make this recipe even easier? Make your quinoa in a rice cooker ahead of time!