Vegetarian Enchilada Soup
This vegetarian enchilada soup is a delicious combination of spicy flavors that’s loaded with black beans and vegetables for an enticing meal!
Why I Love This Soup
I am so excited to share this soup recipe with you because it’s a rich and creamy soup with plenty of spice, and it comes together with just a handful of basic ingredients! It’s easy to make substitutions if there are certain ingredients you’re missing and most of the ingredients are things you probably already have in your fridge or pantry! Plus, this recipe is a budget friendly recipe, so it’s great for feeding a group!
Vegetarian Enchilada Soup Ingredients
- Olive oil- a little olive oil helps us soften the onion and peppers.
- Onion– The onion adds a delicious base to the flavor of the soup.
- Bell pepper– Green bell pepper is an easy way to add vegeteables to this soup. You can substitute with red bell pepper, if that’s what you have.
- Jalapeño– If you want to make this soup spicy, add a jalapeño! For a more mild soup, skip it.
- Vegetable broth– Look for a slow sodium broth so you can control the saltiness of the soup.
- Red enchilada sauce– I like the Frontera brand. You can use a mild or medium sauce, depending on how hot you like it.
- Corn– The sweetness of the corn is delicious with the spicy broth. If using canned corn, be sure to drain it.
- Diced tomatoes with green chilies– These add tons of flavor and spiciness to the soup.
- Black beans– These add plant-based protein to the dish to help fill you up.
- Cream cheese- This makes the soup extra rich and creamy and helps tame the heat.
How to Make Vegetarian Enchilada Soup
First, soften the onion, pepper, and jalapeño. Then add the broth, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, beans, and corn.
Let it simmer for 15 minutes, then add a little cream cheese. It makes this soup so rich and velvety. I love the texture!
Enchilada Soup Topping Ideas
- Chopped avocado– I love creamy avocado on top of this spicy soup!
- Crumbled feta or cotija cheese- Cotija is a crumbly Mexican cheese that adds a salty flavor. It’s similar to feta, so you can use either one!
- Crushed tortilla chips– Salty, crunchy chips are my favorite topping for this soup.
- Diced red onion– If you like the bite of raw onion, add a sprinkle on top of your soup.
- Fresh cilantro– I love the slightly citrus flavor of fresh cilantro.
The Best Enchilada Sauce for Soup
The enchilada sauce adds tons of flavor to this recipe. I like the Frontera brand red enchilada sauce but sometimes I make my own using this enchilada sauce recipe. I’d recommend sticking to red enchilada sauce for this recipe but if you have salsa verde to use, try this chickpea chili verde!
- If you don’t like things spicy, you can skip the jalapeño and use a mild enchilada sauce.
- If you want to keep this recipe vegan, try dairy-free cream cheese such as Kite Hill or Violife. Just be sure it’s plain and unflavored.
- Feel free to mix and match the toppings based on what you have!
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Soup
Let the soup cool slightly, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, warm over low heat on the stovetop or microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Be sure not to bring the soup to a boil or the cream cheese may curdle. I don’t recommend freezing this soup.
More Soup RecipesPrint
Vegetarian Enchilada Soup
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 cups 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegetarian
This vegetarian enchilada soup is a combination of spicy flavors and a creamy texture that’s loaded with black beans and vegetables for an enticing meal!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño seeded and diced (optional)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 cup corn
- 1 (10oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 (15oz) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 4 oz cream cheese
- In a large pot, add the olive oil, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the broth, enchilada sauce, corn, tomatoes, and black beans.
- Turn heat to medium-high and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, then add cream cheese.
- Stir until combined. Keep on a low heat until ready to serve.
Keywords: vegetarian enchilada soup
Looking for a few recipes to pair with your enchilada soup? Here are a few delicious side dish ideas!
Such a warming and comforting soup. I always find that black beans are so satisfying and taste so good too.
We made a mild version of this soup skipping the jalapenos, as you suggested and topped the soup with coriander and feta cheese! So delicious! Great recipe, thanks 🙂
Absolutely loved this spicy yet creamy soup. The cream cheese was just the perfect balance of the hot flavors. Yum!!
Love the combination of flavors in this enchilada soup. Thanks for sharing.
This is delicious and so easy. I was puzzled by the suggestions for side dishes because they have the same ingredients as the soup.