Mexican Quinoa Bowls
These Mexican Quinoa Bowls are an easy and delicious meatless meal. Packed with plant-based protein and lots of fiber, these bowls will keep you full!
I love how easy and filling these bowls are and they’re perfect for a make-ahead lunch! Quinoa is one of my favorite ingredients to use, because it’s packed with protein, and as a vegetarian, I have to be on the lookout for protein ideas!
Mexican Quinoa Bowl Ingredients
- Quinoa– Quinoa is technically a seed but it cooks like a grain. For perfectly cooked quinoa, I like to make mine in a rice cooker, but you can also make it on the stovetop! Cooking the quinoa in broth adds an extra layer of flavor to this recipe! I like to use low-sodium broth so I can control the saltiness of the final dish.
- Smoked Paprika- This adds a delicious smoky flavor to the quinoa. You can substitute regular paprika if that’s what you have on hand.
- Garlic Powder– A hint of garlic boosts the flavor of the quinoa.
- Fresh Cilantro– This is optional but I love the flavor of fresh cilantro. Do not substitute dried cilantro, which doesn’t have much flavor.
- Tomato Salsa– I love a pico de gallo or other fresh tomato salsa but any jarred salsa will do.
- Red Onion– I love the spicy bite of red onion but if you don’t like raw onion, feel free to leave it out.
- Avocado– This adds a lovely creamy texture and the healthy fats from the avocado will make this bowl more satisfying.
- Black Beans– To add more flavor to this dish, I like using these Mexican Black Beans rather than just plain canned beans. It adds tons of flavor but if you’re short on time, you can substitute canned black beans.
How to Meal Prep this Recipe
If you want to prepare these in advance, you can pre-cook the quinoa and black beans and keep them in the fridge. The bowls themselves come together quickly. If you want to pack this for lunch, you can wait to cut the avocado until you’re ready to enjoy it or toss the avocado pieces in a little lime juice to help prevent browning until you’re ready to eat.
What to Serve with Quinoa BowlsPrint
Need an easy vegetarian dinner idea? Try these Mexican Quinoa Bowls! They’re loaded with plant based protein and fiber for a quick but filling meal!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups Mexican Black Beans or 1 15oz can black beans, drained
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup tomato salsa
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- Chips for serving (optional)
- Rinse and drain the quinoa.
- Add to a pot with the vegetable broth, smoked paprika, and garlic powder, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In each bowl, add in 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, and top with beans, cilantro, salsa, red onion & avocado.
Keywords: Mexican Quinoa Bowls
Looking for more ways to use quinoa? Here are a few of my favorite quinoa recipes!