Lentil Lettuce Wraps
These delicious lettuce wraps are filled with hearty lentils, crunchy water chestnuts, and plenty of spicy flavors. Try these wraps as an appetizer with your favorite Asian-inspired dishes, or enjoy them as a filling meatless main dish!
I love these lettuce wraps because they’re high in protein and a little lower in carbs than your typical meatless meal. These are a great appetizer option if you’re making a stir fry or ramen noodles.
Tips for Perfect Lentil Lettuce Wraps
- The fresh ginger in this recipe is critical, so don’t swap it for the powdered stuff.
- Add a little extra sriracha on top if you like it super spicy!
- I love using butter lettuce leaves for these wraps, which is a little more tender than iceberg, but either one works just fine.
The Best Lentils for Lettuce Wraps
French lentils have a more firm texture than brown or green lentils. They soften when cooked but they still hold their shape. Sometimes French lentils are called black lentils or lentilles du Puy. You can often find them at places like Whole Foods or specialty grocery stores. In a pinch, you can use brown or green lentils.
Make Ahead Tips
Since these lentils hold their shape, you don’t have to worry about the filling getting soggy. You can prep the filling up to 3 days in advance. Store in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. You can also serve the lettuce wraps cold if you prefer.Print
These lentil lettuce wraps are filled with hearty lentils, crunchy water chestnuts, and plenty of spicy flavors. Try these as an appetizer with your favorite Asian dishes, or enjoy them as a filling meatless main dish!
- 1 cup French lentils (see note)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave
- 1 8oz can whole water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 1 head iceberg or butter lettuce
- 2 green onions, diced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the lentils according to package directions, then set aside.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, onion, ginger, water chestnuts, and lentils.
- Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, hoisin and honey.
- Move off of the heat and add sriracha to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Separate the lettuce leaves to create cups.
- Fill each lettuce cup with lentil mixture and top with green onions.
French lentils have a more firm texture than brown or green lentils. Sometimes French lentils are called black lentils or lentilles du Puy.
If you’re looking for a recipe to serve with these lettuce wraps, here are a few ideas to get you started!