These lentil lettuce wraps are filled with hearty lentils, crunchy water chestnuts, and plenty of spicy flavors. Try these as an appetizer with your favorite Asian dishes, or enjoy them as a filling meatless main dish!
- 1 cup French lentils (see note)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave
- 1 8oz can whole water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 1 head iceberg or butter lettuce
- 2 green onions, diced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the lentils according to package directions, then set aside.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, onion, ginger, water chestnuts, and lentils.
- Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, hoisin and honey.
- Move off of the heat and add sriracha to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Separate the lettuce leaves to create cups.
- Fill each lettuce cup with lentil mixture and top with green onions.
French lentils have a more firm texture than brown or green lentils. Sometimes French lentils are called black lentils or lentilles du Puy.