Lentil Stuffed Peppers
These southwestern-style stuffed peppers are filled with lentils, rice, and plenty of spicy flavor! It’s a great way to add more vegetables to your dinner routine.
Lentils are a great filling for stuffed peppers because they’re easy to season and they add lots of protein and fiber to this meal. That means you’ll stay full and satisfied!
How to Make Lentil Stuffed Peppers
First, prepare the lentils and the rice. For a shortcut, you can used prepared or canned lentils.
Then, slice three large bell peppers in half. Remove the white pith and any seeds. Place face up on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes.
To prepare the filling, sauté the onions , jalapeño, and garlic, then add the lentils, rice, tomatoes, and taco seasoning.
Stuff each of the cooked peppers with about 1/2 cup of filling.
Top each pepper with a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese.
Turn the oven to broil and cook the peppers for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted and browned.
Serve the peppers with salsa, sour cream, and avocado!
- If you’d like to keep this recipe vegan, use vegan cheddar shreds or skip the cheese.
- You can use brown or green lentils for the filling. Do not use red lentils, which are too soft.
- You can use any color bell pepper you like. Red, yellow, and orange peppers will be slightly sweeter.
- If you want to prepare this recipe faster, you can use canned or prepared lentils.
- You can buy pre-cooked rice in the frozen food section or use microwaveable rice.
- This is also a great recipe for leftover lentils or rice. You can prepare the rice and lentils up to 3 days in advance.
- 3 large bell peppers, halved and seeded (any color)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 10oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis, drained
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup cooked green or brown lentils (see note)
- 1 cup cooked white or brown rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
- Salsa, avocado, and/or sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the halved and seeded peppers cut side up on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion and jalapeño and cook for 5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes, lentils, rice, and taco seasoning.
- Stir to combine and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and turn the oven to broil.
- Carefully stuff with the rice and lentil mixture, then top with cheese.
- Place the peppers back in the oven and broil for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is browned.
- Serve with avocado, sour cream, and/or salsa.
Keywords: lentil stuffed peppers
What to Serve with Stuffed Peppers
Need some easy side dish ideas? Here are a few recipes that would be perfect with these lentil stuffed peppers!