First of all, what is TVP? TVP = Textured Vegetable Protein. It’s a “defatted soy flour product” which I know sounds kind of gross… but trust me on this, it tastes good in tacos. The texture reminded me of a soft rice, but Alex said it reminded him of really finely ground beef. (I can’t remember what ground beef tastes like.) It doesn’t really have any flavor on its own but it takes on other flavors really well, kind of like tofu.
For these vegan TVP tacos, I kept it pretty simple, and totally healthy. I’m really happy with how these turned out, and I think they’ll make it into the regular dinner rotation.Print
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- Bring one cup of water to a boil, and then add in the TVP.
- Remove from heat, stir in the chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin, and let stand.
- Cook the black beans over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until heated.
- Add the olive oil and onion to a skillet and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- In each taco shell or tortilla, add a scoop of TVP, a scoop of black beans, onion, avocado, and salsa. It should make 4 large tacos
This makes about 4 large tacos. It was plenty for two people and I had some leftovers for lunch the next day. This was super easy to make, and also pretty cost effective. TVP is a lot cheaper than meat. Plus, it has 12g of protein per 1/4 cup, and only 80 calories. That makes this stuff pretty awesome, and with the right seasonings, it tastes awesome as well!