Homemade Taco Seasoning
Try this homemade taco seasoning to spice up your favorite recipes! It’s a simple blend of herbs and spices that come together to create a delicious flavor.
Did you know that making your own homemade taco seasoning is actually really easy? I don’t have anything against storebought seasonings, but I don’t always plan ahead for taco night. And when the craving for tacos hits. I don’t want to drive to the store just to buy a package of seasoning.
How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
The good news is, it’s really simple! All you have to do is combine the herbs and spices and store them in an airtight container. I recommend adding salt to your seasoning, but it’s optional. Sometimes it’s nice to be able to control the saltiness level of the dish at the end, so it’s up to you.
Tips for the Perfect Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Make sure your herbs and spices are fresh. They should be fragrant when you smell them. If there is no smell, there is likely no flavor.
- You can adjust the heat to your liking. I prefer keeping this taco seasoning relatively mild since I tend to make a large batch, and I’m not always sure who will be eating the final dish!
- Store the final blend in an airtight container. It will last for up to 3 months, assuming your herbs and spices are fresh.
Benefits of Making Homemade Taco Seasoning
I love making my own spice blends because I have control over the flavors. If you’re watching your sodium intake, you can use less salt or omit it altogether. If you like things spicy, you can double the chili powder or add a pinch of cayenne. If you’re making this blend for kids, you can cut out the spicy flavors. The possibilities are endless! If you like this taco seasoning, be sure to try my homemade taco sauce, too!
How to Use Homemade Taco Seasoning
This taco seasoning works well on black beans, lentils, cauliflower, or anything you can stuff inside a taco. It’s just spicy enough to give things a kick of flavor without overpowering the rest of your dish. Try it in this vegetarian taco soup recipe or use it to flavor lentils as a taco filling.
It’s a great way to add lots of flavor to soups and stews quickly!Print
This taco seasoning works well on black beans, lentils, cauliflower, or anything you can stuff inside a taco. It’s just spicy enough to give things a kick of flavor without overpowering the rest of your dish. Obviously you can dial up the spice if you like, but I recommend starting with this blend and adding more heat in your final dish. This seasoning can be stored for months in your pantry, but I doubt it will last that long!
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Combine all the spices in a small jar.
- Stir or simply shake to combine.
- Store in an airtight jar or container.
Keywords: homemade taco seasoning
Need a side dish to go with your tacos? Try this Mexican Street Corn Salad!
What’s your favorite taco night recipe?