Vegan Lentil Tacos
These vegan lentil tacos are a delicious plant-based dinner filled with plenty of spicy flavor! These tacos are easy to assemble, and you can customize them with all your favorite toppings!
I’m not sure why it’s taken me so long to share a recipe for lentil tacos. Lentils are a natural fit for a plant-based taco filling. They’re hearty and “meaty,” and they take on flavors really well!
Benefits of eating lentils
If you don’t eat a lot of lentils, now is the time to start. They’re a very inexpensive source of protein. (You can usually find them in the bulk bins or by the dried beans!) They’re a good source of iron, and they also contain a lot of fiber, which helps regulate blood sugar and keeps you full! If you’re looking for a simple lentil recipe, try this one! But I have to say, they’re delicious in tacos.
The best lentils to use for tacos
I like using French lentils or lentils de puy for this recipe because they’re a little firmer than brown or green lentils. But I’ve also made these with brown lentils, and they’re great! The only lentils I wouldn’t recommend are red lentils because they’ll get too mushy.
Tips for perfect lentil tacos
- Be sure not to overcook the lentils. The texture is best when they still just slightly firm.
- I like using french green lentils for this recipe because they hold their shape a bit better than regular brown or green lentils. But feel free to use whatever you have; I’ve made it both ways, and you really can’t go wrong!
- You can add any toppings you like, but I highly recommend fresh salsa and veggies. You could also add a few slices of avocado on top!
I could eat this taco filling with a spoon; it’s so tasty. You could also add this to a taco salad if that’s more your style.
Lentil taco toppings
The lentil “meat” has a lot of flavor on its own, so I don’t usually add a lot of other toppings. But here are some tipping ideas to get you started:
- Pico de gallo
- Salsa verde
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Hot sauce
These vegan lentil tacos are full of plant-based protein and easy to assemble. Top them with salsa or add your favorite taco toppings.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup French green lentils or brown lentils
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 corn or flour tortillas
- Optional toppings: avocado, pico de gallo, diced bell peppers, etc.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring to prevent burning.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, and oregano and stir until the onion is coated.
- Add the lentils and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes until all the broth has been absorbed and the lentils are soft, but not mushy. You may need to add a bit more water if the lentils are still firm to the bite. If there is broth left in the pan, drain any excess liquid.
- You can either use the lentils as-is, or you can pulse in a food processor for 8-10 seconds to get a more chunky “meaty” texture. This technique works best with french lentils.
- Divide into taco shells and add toppings.
Keywords: vegan lentil tacos
If you’re looking for something to serve it with these lentil tacos, try this Mexican Street Corn Salad! It’s a perfect side dish, and it’s much easier to eat than traditional street corn! You could also make this 5 ingredient guacamole, which is delicious on top of any taco. Or to complete your spread, try these tacos with this my Mexican Brown Rice, Rice Cooker Mexican Rice or these delicious Mexican Style Black Beans!
What’s your favorite taco topping?