These vegan lentil tacos are full of plant-based protein and easy to assemble. Top them with salsa or add your favorite taco toppings.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¾ tsp chili powder (or more if you like it spicy)
- 1 cup French green lentils or brown lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- Optional toppings: avocado, pico de gallo, cheese, etc.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring to prevent burning.
- Add the garlic powder, cumin, onion powder, and chili powder and stir until the onion is coated.
- Add the lentils and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes until all the water has been absorbed and the lentils are soft, but not mushy. You may need to add a bit more water if the lentils are still firm to the bite.
- You can either use the lentils as-is, or you can pulse in a food processor for 8-10 seconds to get a more chunky “meaty” texture. This technique works best with french lentils.
- Divide into taco shells and add toppings.
Keywords: vegan lentil tacos