These vegan lentil tacos are full of plant-based protein and easy to assemble. Top them with salsa or add your favorite taco toppings.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup French green lentils or brown lentils
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 corn or flour tortillas
- Optional toppings: avocado, pico de gallo, diced bell peppers, etc.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring to prevent burning.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, and oregano and stir until the onion is coated.
- Add the lentils and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes until all the broth has been absorbed and the lentils are soft, but not mushy. You may need to add a bit more water if the lentils are still firm to the bite. If there is broth left in the pan, drain any excess liquid.
- You can either use the lentils as-is, or you can pulse in a food processor for 8-10 seconds to get a more chunky “meaty” texture. This technique works best with french lentils.
- Divide into taco shells and add toppings.
Keywords: vegan lentil tacos