We’ve been in house-project-mode lately. I’m not sure where this latest bout of motivation came from, but we’ve been tackling a lot of lingering projects. I love the feeling of the house coming together but I’ve definitely been spending a lot less time in the kitchen. Most of our weekend was spent out with friends or at home working on projects. (Personally, I love that balance.) So in between finishing up the entryway bench + coat hooks and ordering a new rug + chair for the living room, I whipped up some black bean soup.
Lucky for me, this is honestly one of the easiest things I’ve ever made. Ever. So even though this barely counts as a recipe, I know you’re all busy, too, so I figured I’d share this! Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight dinner or a lazy Saturday afternoon meal, this recipe is your answer.Print
Quick & Easy Black Bean Soup [Vegan & Gluten Free]
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2
- Category: Soup
- 2 cans black beans (do NOT drain them!)
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato salsa
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (less if you don’t like spice)
- Optional toppings: fresh cilantro, avocado, etc.
- In a large pot, add in your black beans, including the liquid in the can.
- Add the tomatoes and salsa. I typically use a medium tomato salsa because I like a little extra spice. You can pretty much use any tomato salsa, but I’d say something a little less chunky is nice in this soup.
- Stir in the spices.
- Cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes. If you’re not going to eat it right away, either turn it off the heat or add a little water. Otherwise, it’ll cook down and it can burn on the bottom.
- When ready to serve, top with sliced avocado and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro, if you like!
We topped ours with avocado chunks which was perfect since I had a few almost-too-ripe ones on my hands. It’s so hard to eat them at the perfect time but when you do, it’s so worth it! We ate this as soup on Saturday night and then I strained a few spoonfuls to use as a quesadilla filling on Sunday. When we’re busy with house projects, I’m lazy in the kitchen!
I have a feeling I’ll be making this one a lot this winter. I always have black beans and salsa in the pantry!
What’s your favorite super quick dinner?