Can I have a weekend to recover from my weekend? Alex signed us up for a 2 day kayak clinic which meant we spent 5 hours on Saturday and 4 hours on Sunday learning the ins and outs of kayaking on the river. It was really fun but definitely exhausting! Saturday evening was pretty low key around the Thomson household since we were exhausted from all the paddling and it was kind of rainy and gross out which meant we didn’t really want to go anywhere.
Dinner at home? Yes please.
I was trying to figure out what to make, knowing I wanted to use up a ripe avocado. If you’re a regular avocado consumer then you know that having an avocado that is soft but not rotten is basically a precious miracle. I couldn’t let it go to waste. But I was feeling like I wanted something more than our typical quinoa + black beans + avocado bowl. We actually had tortillas on-hand, which is kind of rare for us, so I decided to make quesadillas. Honestly, I have no idea why we don’t make quesadillas more often! They’re so easy!
- 2 large whole wheat flour tortillas
- ½ cup frozen corn
- ¾ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp crumbled feta
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 clove of garlic, minced (or ¼ tsp garlic powder)
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup guacamole OR 1 avocado, sliced
- Salsa (optional)
- Preheat a large skillet and spray with non-stick spray (I use grapeseed oil.)
- To thaw the frozen corn, place in a glass bowl with 2 tbsp of water and microwave for 45 seconds. Drain and place in a mixing bowl.
- Combine the black beans, feta, cheese, garlic, and spices with the corn.
- Place one of the tortillas in the preheated pan and top with the bean and corn mixture.
- Cover with the other tortilla and cook on med-low heat until the cheese is melted and the tortilla begins to brown.
- If it's too hard to flip, slide it off the pan onto a plate. Top with another plate and then flip it over. Scoot it back onto the pan. (That's honestly what I did!)
- Once it's done, serve with guacamole and/or salsa
Need an easy guacamole recipe? Try this 5 ingredient guacamole. I made a quarter-sized batch of this for our quesadillas!
Then sit back, relax, and enjoy your quesadilla.