These crispy zucchini fries are baked in the oven with just a bit of oil! They’re a delicious healthy alternative to traditional fries!
Zucchini is a pretty versatile vegetable but of all the ways to prepare it, I think zucchini fries are my favorite. They’re crispy and salty with endless possibilities for dipping. I like them with marinara sauce but they’re also tasty with aioli or even ketchup!
Tips for perfect zucchini fries
- Try to cut all of the zucchini into even-sized pieces. This will ensure that they all cook at the same time and you don’t end up with any soggy or burnt pieces.
- When baking, place the zucchini fries on parchment paper or a silicone baking mat (I love these mats from Amazon) to prevent sticking. The fries will be a bit delicate, so easy removal is key.
- If you’re gluten-free, try Chickpea Crumbs as a bread crumb alternative. They’re like panko crumbs but they’re made with 100% ground chickpeas. They’re a great, healthy option!
- If you prefer to make chips, simply slice the zucchini into coins instead of planks.
- You can add any seasoning you like. I usually use an Italian seasoning blend but feel free to add garlic powder, onion powder, or other spices into the bread crumb mixture!
How to make Vegan Zucchini Fries
If you want to make these fries vegan, try this trick instead of an egg wash!
- Combine 1/2 cup of almond milk with 1/4 tablespoons of flour.
- Whisk together until it forms a paste.
- Dip each zucchini in the flour mixture and let any excess runoff.
- Roll each zucchini piece in the breadcrumbs, and place on the baking sheet.
These deliciously crispy zucchini fries are baked in the oven for a healthy side dish!
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs (or gluten free panko crumbs)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, (about 3 medium), cut into 1/2-by-3-inch sticks
- 1 egg (see note for vegan option)
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (omit for vegan option)
- Blue cheese, marinara, or hot sauce (for dipping)
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper
- Mix the bread crumbs, salt, and garlic powder and spread on a plate.
- Dip zucchini in egg, and roll in breadcrumbs.
- Arrange the zucchini so they’re not touching, on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake on the center rack for 10 minutes.
- Turn the zucchini over.
- Continue to bake until golden and just tender, about 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
To make these vegan, skip the egg and use a dairy-free milk and flour combination instead. Combine 1/2 cup of almond milk with 1/4 tablespoons of flour. Whisk together until it forms a paste. Dip each zucchini in the flour mixture and let any excess runoff. Roll each zucchini piece in the breadcrumbs, and place on the baking sheet.
Keywords: zucchini fries
Serve with a few different kinds of dips (I liked hot salsa) and you’ve got a great party snack.
Looking for other healthy snack ideas? Try one of these recipes!