Easy Creamy Hummus
This easy, creamy hummus is just 5 ingredients, but it makes a delicious dip that is perfect for serving with vegetables or spreading on a sandwich!
We eat a lot of hummus at our house. It’s an easy snack to grab from the fridge, a perfect healthy appetizer at a party, and it’s delicious on wraps and sandwiches. You can spend $4 buying it at the store, or you can make your own at home in 5 minutes for a fraction of the price.
I love making hummus at home, but for a long time, I couldn’t figure out how to make my hummus as creamy as the hummus at the store. Mine either ended up too thick, too watery, or too oily. Luckly, I learned the secret!
How to Make Super Creamy Hummus
The trick to super creamy hummus is to cook the chickpeas until they’re very soft.
I simmer them on the stovetop in water with a little baking soda for about 20 minutes. That way they’re creamy and easy to blend! It doesn’t require a lot of oil and it works for all different types of hummus recipes.
Super Creamy Hummus Ingredients
- Chickpeas-Canned chickpeas help this recipe come together quickly.
- Baking soda– A little baking soda helps break down the chickpeas and soften them.
- Salt– A pinch of salt helps enhance the flavor.
- Minced garlic– You can substitute with garlic powder, for a more mild flavor.
- Tahini– Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds. It’s traditionally used in hummus and it helps create a rich, silky texture.
- Lemon juice– A little lemon juice adds a bright, fresh flavor.
- Olive oil- Olive oil adds a rich, earthy flavor and a lucious texture.
- Water- You may need a little water to thin it out.
What to Serve with Hummus
I love pairing hummus with crunchy vegetables like bell peppers or carrots, but it’s also delicious with pita bread, naan, or even this homemade whole wheat flatbread. It makes a delicious sandwich spread and it’s also a great thing to stuff inside mini sweet peppers!
My Favorite Hummus RecipesPrint
If you want to learn the trick to making super creamy hummus at home, read on! This easy recipe is all you need to make delicious hummus!
- 1 15oz can of chickpeas
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup sesame tahini
- Juice from 1 small lemon
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Red pepper, for garnish
- Add the chickpeas to a pot and cover with 1″ of water. Add the baking soda and stir.
- Bring the chickpeas to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the chickpeas are completely softened.
- Drain the chickpeas, then add them to a food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Add additional water, if needed.
Keywords: super creamy hummus
Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein and they’re high in fiber. Obviously, it’s a great dip option, but don’t limit yourself. It’s even good thinned with a bit of water and used as a salad dressing. Don’t knock it ’til you try it!
What’s your favorite type of hummus?