Za’atar Spiced Hummus
This creamy hummus has a deliciously earthy, herbal flavor thanks to a spice blend called za’atar. Although this tasty dip is full of complex flavors, it only takes 5 minutes to make!
One of my goals with I Heart Vegetables is to share easy recipes that you can make with ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. I’m going to make a slight exception today because you might not have za’atar in your pantry… but you should. A sprinkle of this spice blend, common in Arab cuisine, will take your hummus to the next level.
What is za’atar seasoning
Za’atar seasoning is typically a blend of dried thyme, marjoram, oregano, sesame seeds, and salt. You can find it at most larger grocery stores, near the other spice blends. You can also find it at spice stores like Penzys or you can even get it on Amazon, although I can’t say I’ve tried that!
Tips for a super smooth hummus
- Heating the chickpeas before blending will result in a smoother texture. They’re easier to blend when they’re warm, so your hummus ends up velvety and creamy rather than grainy or lumpy. It might sound a little crazy, but I promise it works!
- If you have leftover hummus, store it in the fridge. If the hummus thickens, simply add a little bit of water and stir. You can also microwave it on low for 15-20 seconds to bring it to room temperature.
What to serve with za’atar hummus
- This hummus is delicious with sliced veggies. I love cucumbers, bell peppers, and carrot sticks!
- You can also toast pieces of naan or pita and cut them into triangles for dipping.
- This flavorful hummus makes a great sandwich spread! You could even smear it on toast for a savory breakfast.
- Try it on top of falafel or even scoop it onto a salad!
More Hummus RecipesPrint
Za’atar Spiced Hummus
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 seconds
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 1/4 cup 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: Hummus
This creamy hummus has a deliciously earthy, herbal flavor thanks to a spice blend called za’atar. Although this hummus is full of complex flavors, it only takes 5 minutes to make!
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon za’atar seasoning
- 2 tablespoons water (plus more, if needed)
- Place the chickpeas in a microwave safe bowl and cook on high for 1 minute.
- Transfer the chickpeas to a blender and blend on high for 20 seconds.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and continue to blend for 2-3 minutes until completely blended.
- Continue to add water until you reach the desired consistency.
- Taste and add additional salt, if needed.
- If you’re not serving it right away, store in the fridge and stir in a bit of water before serving, as the hummus will thicken when chilled.
Keywords: za’atar hummus
For more hummus options, try this basil pesto hummus or this smoky paprika hummus!
We love our homemade hummus anytime, but we love it even more like this! Thanks for sharing! 🙂
We love za-atar and I can’t believe I never used it in hummus!! This is our favorite light lunch option!
This looks like something my family would like. Can’t wait to try it.
This was really good!! Everyone at my house loved it!
This hummus was so smooth, creamy and flavorful! Yum!
This hummus looks great. Will make as soon as I can get the Za’atar from Amazon. Thanks & keep these good recipes coming, I’m very happy with this email.
My son literally JUST asked me if we could make our own hummus, this recipe is great! I love the tip about heating the chickpeas first, we like creamy. I put chickpeas and za’atar seasoning on my grocery list for tomorrow!
Awesome! I hope you two enjoy it, Sara! 🙂