I love flatbread. Pita, naan, wraps, literally anything in the flatbread category. But for some reason, I’d never tried making my own. So I decided to tweak my olive oil bread recipe into a flatbread recipe and I figured while I was changing it up, I should test out a whole wheat version. In just a few minutes, I had an easy whole wheat flatbread recipe, no yeast required!
What’s the difference between white whole wheat flour and regular whole wheat flour?
It’s actually a different variety of wheat. White whole wheat flour is made with hard white spring or whiter wheat. It includes the bran, germ, and endosperm, making it “whole” wheat. Since it’s made with hard white wheat instead of hard red wheat, like whole-wheat flour, it has a paler color and its taste is milder. You’ll still taste more of a nutty flavor compared to regular all-purpose flour because it includes the fibrous bran and germ of the wheat, but it’s a milder whole-wheat flour so it’s great if you’re getting used to the taste of whole wheat.
I bought my white whole wheat flour at Trader Joe’s but if you don’t have a Trader Joe’s near you, check out King Arthur Flour. They have it at most grocery stores or you can order it online. If you don’t want to buy another bag of flour, you could do a blend of half whole wheat and half all purpose flour.
Whole Wheat Flatbread Recipe, No Yeast Required!Print
This recipe makes 6 small flatbreads.
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- Pinch of dried herbs (rosemary, basil, oregano, etc.)- Optional
- Combine the warm water and salt and let the salt dissolve.
- Stir in the olive oil.
- Add in the whole wheat flour and work it with your hands until the moisture is distributed.
- Knead it with your hands for 3-4 minutes.
- Cut it into 8 small pieces and roll each of the pieces out into a very thin sheet.
- Heat in a pan over medium heat for 2-3 minutes per side. You won’t need any oil and as long as you use a non stick pan, you shouldn’t have any trouble flipping them.
- Let cool and then eat up!
- Keep them in an airtight container until you’re using them.
Keywords: whole wheat flatbread
I made half plain whole wheat flatbread and half with a sprinkle of an Italian seasoning blend. It was a nice way to mix it up a bit! These whole wheat flatbreads would be lovely topped with hummus or dipped into homemade tzatziki sauce. You could even top it with pizza sauce and cheese for a quick and easy flatbread pizza!
What’s your favorite flatbread topping?