I love flatbread. Pita, naan, wraps, literally anything in the flatbread category. But for some reason, I’d never tried making my own. So I decided to tweak my olive oil bread recipe into a flatbread recipe and I figured while I was changing it up, I should test out a whole wheat version. In just a few minutes, I had an easy whole wheat flatbread recipe, no yeast required!
I bought some white whole wheat flour at Trader Joes but if you don’t have a TJs’s, check out the King Arthur Flour. They have it at most grocery stores or you can order it online. If you don’t want to buy another bag of flour, you can do a blend of half whole wheat and half all purpose flour.
Whole Wheat Flatbread Recipe, No Yeast Required!Print
Easy Whole Wheat Flatbread (4 Ingredients!)
This makes 6 small flatbreads.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- Pinch of dried herbs (rosemary, basil, oregano, etc.)- Optional
- Combine the warm water and salt and let the salt dissolve.
- Stir in the olive oil.
- Add in the whole wheat flour and work it with your hands until the moisture is distributed.
- Knead it with your hands for 3-4 minutes.
- Cut it into 8 small pieces and roll each of the pieces out into a very thin sheet.
- Heat in a pan over medium heat for 2-3 minutes per side. You won’t need any oil and as long as you use a non stick pan, you shouldn’t have any trouble flipping them.
- Let cool and then eat up!
- Keep them in an airtight container until you’re using them.
I made half plain whole wheat flatbread and half with a sprinkle of an Italian seasoning blend. It was a nice way to mix it up a bit! These whole wheat flatbreads would be lovely topped with hummus or dipped into homemade tzatziki sauce. You could even top it with pizza sauce and cheese for a quick and easy flatbread pizza.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can make these whole wheat flatbreads later!