Happy Friday! Anyone else excited for the weekend ahead? I’ve been thinking a lot about the weekend (and uh, how much I love it) but I realized that the weekend tends to be when a lot of us throw our healthy habits out the door. I’m certainly not suggesting that you should treat your Saturday like a Monday but you also don’t want to undo all your healthy choices during the week. So I thought I’d share a few of my strategies for having a healthier weekend.
- Map out your weekend so you can plan for splurges. I’m not saying you need to plan every minute in your calendar but if you know you’re checking out a delicious new restaurant with a friend (and you’ll have to try the wine and the dessert of course) then you might choose a lighter lunch option. It can also help you reign in your spending, so your wallet will be a little healthier too. If I know I’m getting drinks with my girlfriends on Saturday, I might take it easy on Friday night. If I’m checking out a brunch place on Sunday, I might eat a little lighter on Saturday.
- Make plans that don’t revolve around food or drinks. This is such a hard one for me because I love going out to dinner but there are tons of other things you can do with friends! Go to a museum, check out a concert, or get a pedicure. If you’re feeling really adventurous, sign up for a workout class with a friend!
- Cook something new. Most people have a little more time to spend cooking on the weekends. Pick out a healthy recipe and give it a try! Cooking your own meals is almost always healthier than going out. Knowing what’s in your food can help you make better choices. (Need some easy recipe ideas? I’ve got you covered!
- Get moving- even if you’re working out. Sometimes when we workout, we think it’s a free pass to sit on our butt for the rest of the day. But you should still aim to get in some movement. Take a walk around the neighborhood, do some window shopping, even just cleaning the house can be a good way to get in some steps.
- Drink more water. I’m so good at drinking water during the week because I have a giant cup of water on my desk. But when it comes to the weekend, I tend to drink more coffee than water. Make sure you have a water bottle handy or grab a glass of water with your coffee mug. Staying hydrated is one of the easiest ways to do something nice for your body!
Ultimately though, I think the most important thing is to take some time to relax and enjoy your weekend! If you work a typical desk job, I’m sure you enjoy the break like I do! My standing desk is nice, but it doesn’t beat going out for a walk.
I haven’t totally planned out my weekend but I’ll definitely be catching up with Samantha! We’re taking a PoundFIT class together!