These oven baked tostadas heat up quickly which means you can have dinner on the table in just 15 minutes! They’re vegetarian, gluten free, and customizable for the whole family!
I’m having so much fun with this 15 minute dinner series because we could all use a little extra time in the day, right? I’ve learned that if I want to consistently make healthy choices, I have to make it easy. And while I know a lot of people enjoy meal prepping, it’s just never been my thing. So creating healthy recipes that can be made after a long day has been a fun series to develop!
This time, we’re keeping it quick and easy with oven baked tostadas. These are easy to make gluten free and/or vegan depending on your dietary preferences and you can even customize the spice level for you and your family! The trick to these tostadas is to set the oven to broil so they cook quickly! While your tostadas are in the oven, you can prep the rest of your toppings so you can have dinner on the table in just 15 minutes!
This recipes make 8 tostadas but if you’re only cooking for 2, you can cut the recipe in half. The extra beans can be stored in the fridge for about four days, so you can make a second round of these later in the week!Print
Oven Baked Tostadas
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 Tostadas
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 8 whole wheat or corn tortillas
- 1 15oz can refried beans (see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled, and mashed
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta or cojita cheese
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Set the oven to broil.
- While the oven heats up, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake the tortillas in the preheating oven for 2-3 minutes. Depending on how quickly your oven heats up, you may need to keep a close eye on these! You want them lightly browned and beginning to crisp.
- While the oven heats up, combine the refried beans, cumin, garlic, and chili powder.
- Remove the tortillas from the oven and spread about 3 tablespoons of refried beans on each tortilla.
- Add ¼ cup of black beans on top.
- Place in the oven and broil for 3 on the medium rack minutes until the edges of the tortillas get crispy and the beans are heated through.
- Remove from the oven and top with mashed avocado, pico de gallo, feta, and cilantro.
Keywords: Vegetarian Tostadas
Note: Refried beans are traditionally made with animal fat so be sure to look for a fat free or vegetarian version.
Watch for hot spots in your oven. You may notice that certain tortillas are browning faster than others, due to uneven heat. If that happens, just turn the tray around halfway through cooking.
Gluten-free version: To keep these tostadas gluten free, use corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas.
Vegan version: Skip the feta and add a little pinch of nutritional yeast and salt on top! Or you can skip it entirely and just add a little extra salsa.
If you want to add a little extra spice, you can double the chili powder. We used a hot pico de gallo so the ¼ teaspoon of chili powder was just perfect. These would also be great with fresh jalapeno on top, if you want an additional layer of spice.
Meatless Monday? Taco Tuesday? Do you really need an excuse?