These southwestern-style stuffed peppers are filled with lentils, rice, and plenty of spicy flavor! It’s a great way to add more vegetables to your dinner routine.
- 3 large bell peppers, halved and seeded (any color)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 10oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis, drained
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup cooked green or brown lentils (see note)
- 1 cup cooked white or brown rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
- Salsa, avocado, and/or sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the halved and seeded peppers cut side up on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion and jalapeño and cook for 5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes, lentils, rice, and taco seasoning.
- Stir to combine and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and turn the oven to broil.
- Carefully stuff with the rice and lentil mixture, then top with cheese.
- Place the peppers back in the oven and broil for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is browned.
- Serve with avocado, sour cream, and/or salsa.
Keywords: lentil stuffed peppers