On Wednesday night, our small group from church came over for dinner. Although “small” might not be the right term because we had 12 people, which was the perfect crowd for taco Tuesday. We had an amazing spread of taco toppings and I decided to make something a little bit different. I made a spicy Mexican street corn salad.
I don’t remember the first time I had street corn, but I remember thinking… this is worth the mayonnaise. I’m usually a mayo-hater but I have to admit that a little mayonnaise is really what makes this recipe. I know, I know. Who am I? But after our friends had this “salad” (and trust me, I know this isn’t a salad by any stretch of the imagination) they asked for the recipe so I figured I better share it! The great thing about Mexican street corn in salad form is that it’s much easier to eat, so you’re less likely to end up with cheese on your chin. You’re welcome.
- 2 14 oz bags of frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 8 oz feta cheese
- ½ jalapeno, diced (remove the seeds for less heat)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lime
- ½ tsp chipotle sea salt (or ¼ tsp chili powder + ½ tsp sea salt)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- In a large skillet, cook the corn in the olive oil over medium heat for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- You want to lightly toast the corn kernels.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayo and feta until mixed.
- Stir in the diced jalapeno and cilantro.
- Using a garlic press, crush the garlic and stir in. (If you don't have a garlic press, just finely mince it then stir in.)
- Slice the lime in half and use a fork to juice each half. Add the juice into the bowl.
- Add in the corn into the cheese mixture and stir until well coated.
- Sprinkle with chipotle sea salt, and red pepper flakes, then mix, and serve!
Side note, my mother in law got me a set of mixing bowls for Christmas and she had an artist friend paint my blog name on there. Isn’t that cute? I love them!
One of the things I love about this dish is that you can make it ahead of time and then just pop it in the fridge for a couple of hours. (Make sure you don’t leave it out for too long since the mayonnaise could go bad!) This recipe makes a huge batch and almost all of it got eaten. I think that’s a pretty good sign!
This spicy street corn salad goes perfectly with these 5 ingredient black bean enchiladas!