Bacon. I won’t eat it but I do love the smell of it. Let’s be honest, if there was a meat that would make you give up vegetarianism, it might be bacon. It’s seriously the best smell in the world, and this is coming from a vegetarian. I’ve tried a few of those “fake bacon” products (“fakon” as Alex calls it) but it’s not so great. Most of them are loaded with chemicals and who knows what else. Luckily, there is an alternative. Bring in the tempeh. Here’s hwo to make vegan bacon with tempeh!
If you haven’t had tempeh before, it’s made from fermented soybeans, and while it doesn’t have much flavor on its own, it’s fabulous at absorbing flavors. Also, you may remember that fermentation is good for you and soybeans have lots of protein. Look at this, we’re on a roll here. So let’s get cooking. Here’s how to make vegan bacon!
How to Make Vegan BaconPrint
Vegan Bacon Recipe
Sure, it’s not bacon, but it’s crispy, smokey, and delicious!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3
- Category: Vegan
- Cuisine: Breakfast
- 1 package 8 oz. tempeh
- ¼ cup tamari OR soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1 tsp Grapeseed oil (or another neutral cooking oil)
- Slice tempeh into thin strips. You want to slice them as thinly as possible.
- Steam the tempeh in a steamer basket for 10 minutes with some water up to the basket. (This will cut its bitter edge and will make it more tender and absorbable. The tempeh will get lighter and will expand slightly.)
- Put tempeh strips on a plate or bowl and add remaining ingredients.
- Marinade for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat and spread the tempeh in a single layer.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes over medium heat and let it brown before flipping to the other side.
- Cook on the other side for another 3-5 minutes until brown on both sides. It should get nice and crispy.
This vegan bacon is so good. Sure, it’s not the real thing, but it’s delicious in place of bacon on a BLT, tossed onto a salad, or made into vegan tempeh tacos. Plus tempeh is a great source of vegan protein!