Looking for a vegetarian recipe that can satisfy your bacon craving? Try this vegan tempeh bacon! It’s crispy, smokey, and delicious!
- 1 package 8 oz. tempeh
- ¼ cup tamari OR soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (see note)
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil (or another neutral cooking oil)
- Slice tempeh into thin strips. You want to slice them as thinly as possible.
- If you have a steamer basket, steam the tempeh for 10 minutes over a pot of boiling water. This will cut its bitter edge and will make it more tender and absorbent. The tempeh will get lighter and will expand slightly. If you don’t have a steamer basket, you can skip this step!
- In a shallow dish, whisk together all the ingredients.
- Place the tempeh (in a single layer, or double layer, if possible) and gently tilt the dish until all the tempeh has been covered with the marinade.
- Marinade for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat and spread the tempeh in a single layer.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes over medium heat and let it brown before flipping to the other side.
- Cook on the other side for another 3-5 minutes until brown on both sides. It should get nice and crispy.
Liquid smoke might sound weird, but it’s made from a concentration of smoke from wood. Chips or sawdust from hardwoods like hickory are burned at a really high heat, and particles of the smoke are collected in condensers. That’s how they make liquid smoke! It really gives this tempeh the perfect flavor.
Keywords: Tempeh Bacon