This easy vegetarian taco soup is a weeknight winner! All your favorite taco flavors come together in this recipe that is gluten-free and can be easily made vegan!
You can feel it in the air. Summer is winding down and calendars are already filling up with fall activities. I’m excited. Although summer doesn’t officially mean anything different for our household (no kids, no one in school) you can just feel the
lazy crazy days of summer winding down and fall rolling in.
I can’t help you with the soccer practice carpool but I can help you get dinner on the table faster. And since I know you didn’t want to spend your evening washing dishes, I’ll give you this one-pot meal recipe. Yes, only one dish to clean! You’re welcome.
This soup is sort of similar to a vegetarian chili recipe but the flavor definitely says taco night. It’s also the perfect backdrop to let your family or significant other customize it to their palate. And since we’re all unique little snowflakes, I’ll give you plenty of ideas for toppings.
Vegetarian Taco Soup Topping Ideas
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Splash of hot sauce
- A dollop of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Chopped cilantro
Taco Soup Serving Suggestions
- Try serving this vegetarian taco soup with chips and guacamole! I have a 5 ingredient guacamole recipe that is quick and easy.
- Pair it with this Mexican Street Corn Salad! This salad can be served with chips or eaten as a side dish!
- Need more ideas? Check out this whole list of vegetarian-friendly Mexican recipes!
Skip the ready-made meals and the takeout menus, and make this simple, flavorful one-dish dinner. The whole family will love it!Print
Skip the ready-made meals and the takeout menus, and make this simple, flavorful one-dish dinner. The whole family will love it!
- 2 15oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can black beans
- 1 15oz can pinto beans
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup corn (fresh, frozen, or canned is fine)
- 1 packet of McCormick Taco Seasoning
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese or queso fresco
- Shredded cheddar cheese, tortilla strips, fresh cilantro, sour cream, Greek yogurt, etc. (Optional for topping)
- In a large pot, add your diced tomatoes and begin cooking over medium heat.
- Rinse and drain the black beans and pinto beans and add to the pot.
- Add the vegetable broth and water. Stir until mixed.
- Add the corn and 1 packet of McCormick’s Taco Seasoning.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes until heated through.
- While that cooks, prep your toppings. Dice your avocado, get your feta ready to go, and gather any additional toppings you want to use.
- Pour into bowls and serve!
My personal favorite toppings are avocado, feta, and fresh cilantro. I actually made this soup ahead of time because it’s perfect to reheat for dinner or leftover lunches. This is definitely going to be a weeknight favorite because clean up was a breeze. The last thing I want to do after working all day is clean up a sink full of dishes. Who’s with me?
Tips for taco soup leftovers
- Top individual bowls with avocado, feta, and fresh cilantro. Those toppings don’t store well and can make the soup spoil faster, so add them to the both when you’re ready to eat!
- When storing soup, let it cool down before placing in the fridge or freezer. If you put a hot pot of soup in the fridge or freezer, it can lower the overall temperature inside, which can be dangerous for food storage.
- If you want to freeze it, you can freeze it in one glass container or divide it into single servings for a quick lunch option whenever you need it!
I’m loving McCormick’s taco seasoning in here and I’m excited to try some of the other McCormick spice blends! It makes it easier to whip up something packed with flavor! Just pair it with things like quinoa, veggies (or even lean meats if that’s your thing) and you’ve got a flavorful dinner you can feel good about!
What’s your favorite weeknight dinner?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.