Is there anything better than a warm bowl of tomato soup on a chilly day? This Parmesan tomato soup recipe uses canned tomatoes and a few other pantry staples so you can have a fresh bowl of tomato soup in no time. I love the salty Parmesan in this recipe and it’s delicious served with a slice of crusty bread or a grilled cheese sandwich!
This Parmesan tomato soup uses just a few ingredients to create a delicious comfort food classic!
- 2 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Handful chopped fresh basil
- Combine everything except the Parmesan cheese and basil into a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down a bit and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer into a blender or food processor and puree until it’s thick, but not chunky.
- Add in the grated Parmesan cheese, and let it cook on low for about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with basil when serving.
This makes a pretty incredible lunch, especially with a grilled cheese!
We had ours with a smoked gouda grilled cheese and it was perfect!
It was a little rainy and dreary in Richmond on Monday so this combo totally hit the spot. (And hey, it just so happened to be on the meal plan!) While the tomatoes for the soup weren’t technically fresh from the garden, they really did make delicious soup. I’ll be keeping these on hand, especially when tomatoes are out of season. It’s always nice to have options.
We’ve got a fairly busy weekend planned, but I’m hoping to squeeze in a trip to the Farmer’s Market to stock up on some more amazingly fresh veggies.