Easy Creamy Tomato Soup
This creamy vegetarian tomato soup tastes like the classic comfort food but it’s secretly loaded with vegetables! Carrots and celery make a hearty base for this deliciously rich but healthy soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 large celery stalks, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery and cook for 8-10 minutes until the onion is translucent and the vegetables have softened slightly.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes, and fire roasted tomatoes and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the cream cheese and stir until combined.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup to your desired consistency. Or, let the soup cool slightly and carefully transfer to a blender. When blending, remove the center of the blender cap to allow steam to escape while blending.
- Add salt to taste, if needed.
This recipe makes about 8 cups of soup. This could serve 3-6 people depending on if you’re serving it as a main dish or side dish.
Keywords: creamy tomato soup
How to Safely Blend Tomato Soup
- I like to use an immersion blender because it’s a little less messy and I think it’s easier to achieve the perfect consistency. I like my soup a little chunky so an immersion blender lets me combine all the ingredients without making it perfectly smooth.
- But if you don’t have an immersion blender, you can still blend this soup in a blender. I recommend working in two batches and letting the soup cool slightly before transferring, just so you don’t burn yourself! Remember to allow steam to escape from the blender so the soup doesn’t explode!
- Do NOT try to blend the hot soup in a bullet style blender like a Nutribullet or Magic Bullet. The steam must escape or you risk an explosion!
Tomato Soup Topping Ideas
- I love a sprinkle of shredded parmesan cheese. It adds a delicious saltiness to the soup!
- You could also top it with these homemade whole wheat croutons. I love the texture of crunchy croutons on top of my soup!
- If you have any fresh basil in your garden, try slicing into thin ribbons and sprinkling on top of your soup!