This easy Parmesan orzo pasta can be made in just 15 minutes! It’s a perfect side dish and you only need a handful of pantry staples to prepare it!
I’ve been trying to brainstorm new side dish recipes and this one might be a new favorite because it’s so quick and easy! This parmesan orzo almost reminded me a little bit of risotto, except that it was so much easier.
How to Cook Orzo Pasta
To be totally honest, the first time I picked up a package of orzo pasta, I thought it was going to be complicated to prepare. But it’s just as simple as any other pasta shape!
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil
- Add the Orzo pasta
- Stir and reduce heat. Cook for 7-9 minutes.
- Drain the pasta in a colander and serve!
Is Orzo Pasta Gluten Free?
Traditionally, orzo pasta contains gluten. However, DeLallo makes a gluten-free version out of corn and rice, which you can substitute in this recipe if needed. They also make a whole wheat version, which contains more protein and fiber than refined orzo. That can be a great healthier option!
Parmesan Orzo Pasta
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Pasta
- 2 cups dry orzo pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 1 oz)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the orzo according to the package directions, typically 8-9 minutes.
- Drain the pasta, then add in the olive oil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and salt.
- Sprinkle with red pepper and serve warm.
Keywords: parmesan orzo pasta
We had this with a very simple version of this warm kale salad, plus a few cherry tomatoes. It was an easy way to transform a random assortment of leftover veggies and pasta into a complete meal!
Did you try anything new over the weekend?
This post was originally published in May 2014. Updated January 2019.