Orzo Vegetable Soup
This Orzo Vegetable Soup is loaded with seven different vegetables for a flavorful, healthy meal! It’s easy to make and it’s a perfect meal prep recipe for busy days.
This Orzo Vegetable Soup is a wonderful “clean out the fridge” meal because you can use a variety of vegetables in this recipe. If you don’t have certain vegetables on hand, it’s easy to substitute what you have available.
What is Orzo?
Orzo is a type of pasta. It’s small, meaning it cooks relatively quickly. It’s shaped like a large grain of rice. It typically takes 6-8 minutes to cook, which makes it easy to add into this soup.
Is Orzo Gluten-Free?
Since orzo is a type of pasta, it’s not generally gluten-free. But you can find gluten-free versions of orzo. DeLallo makes a gluten-free orzo pasta that you can order online!
Is Orzo Pasta Healthy?
Orzo is simply a short type of pasta, so nutritionally, it’s similar to pasta. You can buy whole wheat orzo if you prefer more protein and fiber. Since this orzo vegetable soup is loaded with lots of vegetables, it’s definitely a healthy recipe!
Ingredient and Substitution Ideas
There are plenty of substitution options if you don’t have something on hand. Here’s what I recommend adding:
If you’re missing any of those vegetables, don’t worry! You could always add in green beans, chopped asparagus, or zucchini. For asparagus or zucchini, add them at the same time you add the orzo. For leafy greens like spinach or kale, stir them in at the end of cooking so they wilt just slightly.
How to Store Leftover Soup
This soup will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Simply store it in an airtight container and reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave. Alternatively, you can freeze this soup for up to 1 month. It’s a great meal prep recipe!
More Soup RecipesPrint
This Orzo Vegetable Soup is loaded with seven different vegetables for a flavorful, healthy meal! It is easy to make and it’s a perfect meal prep recipe for busy days.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 large stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium-sized russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup dried orzo pasta
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, paprika, thyme, and parsley and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, potato, corn, and peas and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are softened.
- Add the orzo pasta and turn the heat up to medium-high.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently until the orzo is al dente.
- Stir in the lemon juice and add salt to taste.
Keywords: orzo vegetable soup
What to Serve with Vegetable Soup
More Orzo Recipes
If you love quick-cooking orzo as much as I do, be sure to try one of these other tasty recipes!