Easy Fattoush Salad
Fattoush salad is a middle eastern dish made with vegetables and toasted pita bread. It’s a delicious and filling recipe that can be made quickly and easily!
What is Fattoush Salad?
Fattoush salad is a relatively common dish in the Middle East, made with vegetables such as tomatoes and cucumbers and mixed with toasted pita bread. It’s sort of like the middle eastern version of Panzanella salad.
How to Prepare Pita for Fattoush Salad
To prepare your pita triangles, cut into triangles and peel apart the two layers of pita so that each chip is just a single layer. Brush olive oil on each triangle before toasting in the oven. This light layer of oil will help prevent the pita from getting soggy in the salad.
Once the pita is nice and crispy, you can break the chips into smaller pieces for the salad.
This recipe also uses za’atar seasoning which is one of my favorite spice blends! It may sound exotic but you can usually find it in the spice section of most large grocery stores. It’s delicious on pita or mixed into hummus. Try this za’atar hummus recipe and you’ll be hooked on the flavor!
Za’atar Seasoning Substitution
If you don’t have any za’atar seasoning in your pantry and you just can’t wait to make this salad, you can make your own seasoning blend!
To make a za’atar seasoning substitute, combine:
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon ground corriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Fattoush salad is a middle eastern salad made with vegetables and toasted pita bread. It’s a delicious and filling recipe that can be made quickly and easily!
- 2 round pieces of pita bread
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon za’atar seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Use kitchen shears to cut the pita bread around the perimeter so you have two circles for each pita bread.
- Slice each pita round into 8 triangles.
- Spread the pita into a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Brush 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil over the pita triangles.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes until the pita is crisp.
- While the pita is baking, whisk together the remaining olive oil, lemon juice, za’atar seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Once the pita is crispy, let cool slightly then gently break into smaller pieces.
- Add the cucumber, tomato, cilantro, romaine, and toasted pita chips into a large bowl.
- Drizzle with dressing and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
If you’re making this salad in advance, wait to add the pita chips and dressing until just before serving.
Keywords: Easy fattoush Salad
If you’re looking for other salad ideas, try this avocado Panzanella salad. It’s made with toasted bread and plenty of vegetables!
What’s your favorite kind of salad?