I’m a huge fan of zucchini noodles but sometimes I just need some pasta. So I thought, why not both? Plus, this recipe doesn’t require a spiralizer since you can simply thinly slice the zucchini for this. Adding some veggies to your pasta is the perfect way to bulk up your dinner so you can enjoy a sizeable serving without totally carbo-loading.
I had some ricotta on hand because I was planning on making zucchini lasagna but I decided to use it as a pasta sauce instead. This almost has an alfredo-like creaminess but it’s a bit lower in calories.Print
Creamy Ricotta and Zucchini Pasta
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2
- Category: Dinner
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic, mashed or minced
- 4 oz whole grain pasta
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add the onion.
- Let it cook for 5-10 minutes until it begins to carmelize.
- Slice the zucchini into thin half moon pieces.
- Add to the skillet and cook for a few minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add in the cherry tomatoes and garlic and cook, covered, over low heat for 5 more minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package.
- Once the pasta is done, add in the ricotta, salt, pepper and vegetables.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve!
This meal came together so easily, which was nice since we had kind of a crazy weekend! We tackled about a dozen lingering house projects and it feels so good to have them crossed off the list! We finished up trim on the stairs, bought a new TV, sold the old TVs on Craigslist, purchased the supplies for a bar cart project, converted one of our kitchen cabinets into a hidden trash compartment, fixed the top drawer of the dishwasher, bought and assembled a bookcase for the sunroom. Alex did the hard parts but I tried to be a good assistant!
Did you do anything fun this weekend?