Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan & Lemon
This shaved brussels sprout salad doesn’t require any cooking – you can eat these sprouts raw! Add some salty parmesan, pine nuts, lemon juice, and olive oil for a quick and easy salad!
I tried to eat pretty “clean” last week, after all of our traveling and Labor Day festivities. As as a result, I stocked the fridge with tons of vegetables. I made quite a few batches of kale chips & zucchini pasta but yesterday I realized the Brussels sprouts were sitting in the crisper drawer, untouched. I wasn’t sure how long they would keep (apparently at least a week!) so I decided to use them for dinner.
I thought about roasting them, but since the weather has still been pretty warm, a cool salad sounded much more refreshing. While it did take a little while to “shave” them, you save some time in the end, since you’re eating them raw. So it sort of all works out.
Tips for Shaved Brussels Sprouts
- Some stores carried “pre-shaved” Brussels sprouts. I can usually find them at places like Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and Wegmans.
- If you don’t have a mandoline slicer, you can also use a shredding disk on a food processor. Just remove the stemmed end before you shred them in the food processor.
- You can also thinly slice them with a sharp knife, but be careful! It usually helps to hold on top the stemmed end while slicing. You want them as thin as possible.
- I like using pine nuts but they can quite expensive, so feel free to substitute sunflower seeds for a lower cost option.
- If you want a sharper, salty flavor, try using Pecorino Romano instead of Parmesan cheese, or use a blend of both!
- You can also substitute shredded kale for some of the Brussels sprouts, for even more greens!
This shaved brussels sprout salad doesn’t require any cooking- you can eat these sprouts raw! Add some salty parmesan, pine nuts, lemon juice, and olive oil for a quick and easy salad!
- 1 pound of Brussels sprouts
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts or sunflower seeds
- Salt to taste
- Using a mandoline slicer (or a sharp knife) cut the Brussels sprouts into very thin slices. Discard the ends. You can also buy pre-shredded Brussels sprouts or use a shredding disk of a food processor.
- In a small dish, combine the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Toss the shaved Brussels sprouts with the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Shred the parmesan cheese on top with a fine cheese grater.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts or sunflower seeds and a pinch of salt.
Keywords: Brussels Sprout Salad
I love that this is a crunchy salad (no wilted greens here!) and real parmesan cheese is what makes this dish so good!
Looking for a different way to use Brussels sprouts?
Or try these Spicy Brussels Sprout Tacos!
If you have leftover Parmesan, try this 15 minute Parmesan Orzo Pasta!
What’s your favorite way to eat brussels sprouts?