If you follow me on Instagram then you know that pizza is one of my all-time favorite foods. Alex and I even bought an outdoor pizza oven because we love it so much! But I’ll admit that pizza isn’t known for its nutritional benefits and it’s easy to eat a whole pizza in the blink of an eye and wonder where those leftovers went…
So I thought it would be fun to share one of my favorite ways to build in portion control and add some extra veggies to your plate! That’s where these naan pizzas come in!
I found the Stonefire brand whole wheat naan at Wegman’s but you can use whatever brand you like. You don’t have to use whole wheat naan but it’s a great way to add some protein and fiber to this recipe.
The naan was used was about 10″ long, in a slightly oval shape. You can use whatever size you find, but you may need to adjust the amount of toppings.
I thought it would be fun to add some green veggies to the mix and the trick to cooking this pizza quickly is slicing the zucchini super thin. This will give you a tender result in a short amount of time.
The ricotta and pesto combination make a flavorful sauce with a minimal amount of cheese. Whether you use whole milk ricotta or part-skim ricotta, either way, you’ll be adding about 7g of protein to your pizza! Not bad for about 100 calories.
Ideas for easy substitutions
- If you can’t find whole wheat naan, you can use regular naan. You could even use mini pieces and make smaller pizzas.
- If you don’t have zucchini, you could use bell peppers. Slice the bell pepper into very thin strips and arrange in a single layer on the pizza.
- If you don’t have pesto, you could use 3 tablespoons of shredded parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil and turn this into a white pizza!
Ready for pizza?
These mini naan pizzas are perfect when you’re craving pizza but you want something a little healthier!
- 2 large pieces whole wheat naan (about 8–10” around)
- ½ cup ricotta cheese (part skim or whole milk)
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- ¼ cup peas (frozen is fine)
- 1 small zucchini, sliced thin
- Shredded parmesan and crushed red pepper for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bake Naan for 2 minutes until lightly browned on the edges.
- While the Naan is baking, mix together the ricotta and pesto.
- Spread a thin layer of the ricotta across each piece of naan.
- Sprinkle with a single layer of peas and zucchini slices.
- Bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes until the zucchini and peas are cooked and the crust is crispy.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and red pepper, if desired.
Keywords: Naan pizza
If you have leftover zucchini, you can chop it into 1/4″ thick half-moon shapes, and roast it in the oven along with your pizzas. Toss with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. It’s an easy side dish to make so you don’t have to let zucchini leftovers go to waste!
This recipe is perfect when you’re craving pizza but you want something a little lighter. It doesn’t skimp on the veggies!