Move over rice, there’s a new stir fry component in town.
Quinoa is a complete source of protein, and is packed with all kinds of nutrients. I might need to do a whole post on how awesome it is. If you haven’t tried it yet, give it a chance!
Since I’ve still been on a “fried rice” kick, I whipped up a super heathy stir fry, which came together in about 20 minutes (including chopping time) and it’s definitely going to be a staple in the dinner rotation.
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 bell pepper
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¾ cup sugar snap peas
- 1 cup broccoli
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp siracha (or other hot sauce)
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the quinoa, cooking for 8-12 minutes (check the box, depending on the brand).
- While that's cooking, start cooking your onion, in 2 tsp olive oil, over medium heat.
- Add in chopped bell pepper, carrots, peas and broccoli.
- I added in the soy sauce right away, so that I didn't need to add more oil. It helped the veggies absorb the flavor.
- Push the veggies to one side of the pan, and crack the egg into the clear side of the pan.
- Gently stir it and before it's fully cooked, add in the quinoa.
- Gently fold the egg into the quinoa, until the egg is completely cooked.
- Then stir up everything in your pan, and top with hot sauce.
This will probably make a second appearance over the weekend.
In other news, I’ve still been running! You guys gave me some great tips. I’m looking for another race to sign up for, but in the meantime, I’ve been trading my elliptical sessions for treadmill runs, and it’s keeping me going!