How to Make Quinoa in a Rice Cooker
This blog is all about easy ways to live a little healthier, which is why I’m so excited to share this kitchen hack with you! I’ve had a rice cooker for a few years (it was a gift from my sister in law!) and I love it. But I’m kicking myself for not trying this sooner. Sure, it cooks rice perfectly, but did you know it’ll cook quinoa perfectly, too?
It makes sense but for some reason, I’d just never given it a shot. And if we’re being honest, quinoa was always one of those foods that seemed tough to get exactly right. Mine wouldn’t be quite as fluffy as I hoped, or there would be a few spoonfuls stuck to the bottom of the pot. Nothing awful, but it just wasn’t quite right.
Then I dumped my quinoa into this magical contraption and the result was perfectly fluffy quinoa! Magic!
I know it probably seems like I’m overreacting but as someone who is trying to get more into meal prep, being able to make a batch of quinoa on Sunday and then dole it out during the week, this is a game changer! Alright, so here’s the “recipe” (but it’s so easy, it barely needs one!)
Benefits of quinoa
- Quinoa is a complete protein, meaning it contains all the essential amino acids your body needs!
- Quinoa is a great source of protein and fiber, so it will keep you full and give you sustained energy
- It’s very budget friendly! To save even more money, look for it in the bulk bins
Making quinoa in your rice cooker is a fast and easy way to get perfectly cooked quinoa!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water or broth
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- Rinse your quinoa.
- Pour the quinoa and broth or water into the rice cooker. If you’re not sure what you’re going to use it for, you might want to just use water. If you know your future plan, broth can be a good option to give it more flavor.
- Add in salt and turn on the rice cooker.
- Most will be done cooking in around 30 minutes.
- Once it’s done cooking, wait a few minutes and then fluff it with a fork.
- It will end up making about 3-4 cups of quinoa.
Don’t remove the lid while the quinoa is cooking.
Once it’s done, fluff it with a fork before serving.
Keywords: Quinoa in a rice cooker
I was so excited about this, I already made this kale and quinoa salad with my first batch of quinoa!
The recipe was already easy, but now I can whip this together in minutes before popping it in the oven!
If you’re looking for a rice cooker, this one makes a perfect batch of quinoa.
This is the rice cooker that I have (affiliate link) and it works great! I’m sure it would work in pretty much any sort of rice cooker though so if you already have one at home, give it a try!