I know it’s kind of cliche to talk about how much I love kale but to be totally honest, kale and I kind of took a break for awhile. I’m not really sure why but I found myself filing my salad bowl with romaine and spinach recently.
But kale is back.
This delicious superfood is so perfect with crisp apples, salty Parmesan, and crunchy walnuts. Even the dressing is healthy!
And when I fall back in love with a food, it gets stuck on repeat. (Just like this Ariana Grande song on my workout playlist.) So Alex, brace yourself for a lot of kale on the menu. 😉 Really though, kale is perfect for fall & winter salads because it can stand up to heartier ingredients like apples. I love the sweet and salty combo of the apples + parmesan in this recipe. I think this would also be great with feta but I haven’t tried that just yet. For now, I’m all about salty parmesan. This salad is super easy to throw together and you could even make it an hour or two ahead of time without worrying about the kale wilting too much. (Meanwhile, let’s give spinach the side eye, because it wilts after 20 seconds in dressing.)
So get out your bowls and whip up this kale salad!
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- 1½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ bunch of kale (4-5 large leaves)
- ½ apple
- 2 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup walnuts
- Wash and de-stem the kale by pulling the leaves off the stem and tearing into smaller pieces.
- In a small dish, combine the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil, and drizzle it over the kale.
- Using your hands, massage the kale leaves with the dressing.
- Chop and apple into small chunks and add into your salad.
- Grate or shred fresh parmesan cheese on top.
- Toss in the walnuts (if they're whole, break them up a bit).
- Serve or pop it in the fridge for a few hours.
I love how easy this salad is to toss together, but it’s hearty enough to feel like a meal! This made enough for the two of us to have it as a side dish but next time I think I’ll double it. #gimmeallthekale