Last week, I wrote about finishing the 7 day slim down and I was really happy with the results! The Tone It Up plan has a slightly less intense longer term plan, so I’ve been trying to loosely follow that. It’s a lot of the same principles (planned out meals, less starches in the evening, etc.) which I think have been working well for me.
In order to stay on track, I’ve tried planning out my meals a little better. Not only does that make grocery shopping easier, but it prevents me from having to eat something I don’t want (or isn’t so great for me) simply because I don’t have things on hand. Breakfast is usually just a protein smoothie, and lunch is often a salad from the cafeteria but dinner can be a little trickier.
I picked up a few packages of frozen veggie burgers, to use in a punch. And I also grabbed plenty of black beans and chickpeas, which can easily be transformed into a protein and fiber packed dinner. Since I had chickpeas on hand last night, I whipped up this super simple chickpea salad, which I’ll throw together with a kale salad for dinner tonight.
Simple Chickpea Salad
- 2 cups chickpeas (about 1 can)
- ¼ cup red onion
- ½ bell pepper
- 1 clove of garlic, minced (or ½ tsp garlic powder)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
- ½ tsp coarse sea salt
- Handful of fresh cilantro or parsley (optional)
- Rinse and drain your chickpeas and set aside.
- Peel and dice a red onion (I used a mandolin slicer for tiny shreds) and dice a green pepper.
- Mince a clove of garlic, and toss everything into a large bowl.
- Coat with olive oil and lemon juice, then sprinkle with salt and seasonings.
- Top with cilantro or parsley!
I’m thinking this dish would also be good with crushed red pepper and paprika. Basically, I don’t think you can mess this up. I love eating this on a bed of spinach, but it’s also delicious on its own. And hey, if you’re not into cold chickpeas, you could always roast them instead.
After I made a batch of this, I immediately portioned it out into little containers, so I can grab them on the go if needed. (It also helps with portion control. Always a good thing.)
So that’s what I’ll be eating this week!
For more about the Tone It Up Nutrition Plan, see what I eat on a typical day!
What meals do you have planned this week?