I haven’t been eating as many salads lately since it’s been so chilly. This meant that I had a couple of bunches of kale sitting in my fridge, begging to be used. I finally decided I’d use them up on a warm kale salad.
After having such a delicious dish at The Savory Grain, I had a rough idea in mind of how I wanted to turn out. This actually turned out to be a simpler salad than I thought and I think this would be a lovely side dish, or a main dish if you added a little quinoa or protein.
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect kale salad:
- Let me say it again: Kale is a tough green and it needs massaging to make it tender. After you’ve washed your kale, you want to literally massage it with your hands. I typically massage the dressing right in. Since this kale salad is served warm, it’s not as critical but it will still produce a better texture.
- Use the right dressing. Kale is a very bitter green and it needs something to help soften it a bit. An acidic dressing will help break down the fiber in the kale which will make it easier to chew.
- Remove the kale stems. The stems are extremely bitter and very hard to chew. Do yourself a favor and de-stem the kale. You can either fold the leaves in half and slice the stem off or you can just tear the leaves right off the stem.
Warm Kale Salad
This warm kale salad is a simple side dish recipe that only takes a few minutes to make!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 2
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Salad
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 bunch kale
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 oz shredded Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up the oil in a large saucepan, and add in the minced garlic.
- Tear the kale into small pieces, removing the stems.
- Add them to the oil and toss to coat.
- Cook the kale over medium heat for 2 minutes, just until it softens. It shouldn’t take long, and you don’t want it to get soggy.
- Juice half of a lemon, and drizzle over top.
- Toss with the shredded cheese and red pepper flakes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm.
Keywords: warm kale salad
Sometimes I add a few crushed red pepper flakes for a spicy flavor! It’s so simple but so delicious! I love serving this with my spaghetti squash lasagna but you could also add your favorite protein on top and make it a meal!
Looking for some other kale salad inspiration? Try this kale and quinoa salad!