Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
These Cinnamon Streusel Muffins are made with Greek yogurt and topped with plenty of sweet cinnamon and sugar. These muffins are perfect for breakfast on the go or as a treat with your morning coffee.
Is there any better combination than cinnamon and sugar? These muffins remind me of coffee cake. They are soft and tender with lots of cinnamon flavor. I put the streusel mixture on top and in the center so you get a sweet taste of cinnamon in every bite! They’re easy to make and they freeze well, so you can make a batch of these muffins and then enjoy them anytime you have a sweet craving!
What is Streusel?
Streusel is a simple but delicious crumbly topping that is typically made from flour, butter, and sugar. This cinnamon streusel makes a delicious topping and it’s also used in the filling, so the muffins are infused with even more sweet flavor.
How to Make Streusel Muffins
I used a food processor to turn my butter, sugar, and flour into a quick streusel topping. Then I used it to mix the dry ingredients with the butter. All that’s left is to stir in the wet ingredients! It’s nice that you only need to dirty one bowl, so clean up is quick and easy.
How to Make This Recipe Without a Food Processor
If you don’t have a food processor, you can still make these muffins! It will just take a little more elbow grease to combine the butter with the other ingredients. But don’t worry, it’s still fast and simple! Just be sure your butter is at room temperature so it’s easier to incorporate. To make the streusel, add the flour, sugars, salt, cinnamon, and butter to a bowl. Use a fork to combine the butter with the dry ingredients and continue to mix until it forms a crumbly mixture like wet sand.
To make the muffins, repeat the process with the dry ingredients and butter until the mixture is crumbly. Then stir in the yogurt, eggs, and vanilla extract.
Baking Tips and Tricks
- I like to use a one-tablespoon cookie scoop to divide the batter into each muffin cup evenly.
- You can use paper, parchment paper, or silicone baking liners.
- If your oven does not bake evenly, you might want to turn the pan halfway through baking for even browning.
- Sour cream can be substituted for Greek yogurt, if needed. I’ve tested this with fat free and whole milk Greek yogurt and both have a great flavor.
- Light brown or dark brown sugar can be used in this recipe.
- To lower the sugar for my toddler, I skip the streusel topping. They still have plenty of sweetness, and he always asks for more!
How to Store Leftover Muffins
Leftover muffins can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container or zipper-top bag for 2-3 days. After a few days, these muffins will begin to dry out, so if you’re not planning to eat them within a few days, I recommend freezing them. To reheat, microwave for 10 seconds or until warm.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this recipe vegan? I don’t recommend modifying this recipe to make it vegan, but you could make my vegan cinnamon sugar muffins.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free? Unfortunately, this recipe doesn’t work well with gluten-free flour, but if you want a gluten-free muffin recipe I recommend trying my Almond Flour Applesauce Muffins.
Can I make this recipe without a food processor? Absolutely! You can combine the butter with the dry ingredients with a hand mixer instead.
Can I lower the sugar? If I want to cut down on the sugar, I skip the streusel topping. They still have plenty of sweetness and cinnamon flavor.
More Muffin RecipesPrint
Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Makes 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
These Cinnamon Streusel Muffins are filled with sweet cinnamon swirls and topped with sweet cinnamon and sugar. These muffins are perfect for breakfast on the go or as a treat with your morning coffee.
For the streusel topping
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
For the muffins:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
- 2 large eggs, whisked together
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (fat free, low fat or whole milk is fine)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position then preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a large 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
- In a food processor, add the streusel topping ingredients and pulse until it is the texture of wet sand.
- Transfer the topping to a bowl.
- In the now empty food processor, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and butter.
- Pulse until the butter is incorporated and the flour mixture is just slightly crumbly.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla. Mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter into each muffin cup.
- Sprinkle the streusel mixture on top.
- Bake for 21-23 minutes until golden brown. Let cool, then enjoy.
The yogurt made these so moist and the cinnamon flavor was amazing! Will make these again!
These streusel muffins are the perfect thing to curl up with on a lazy Saturday morning with coffee!
These sound amazing. Can’t wait to try them.
Warming, delicious and comforting. What is it about cinnamon that’s like a big hug in the wintertime? We loved these! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
One of the best muffin recipes I’ve tried! My family approved that it is made with Greek yogurt and topped with sweet cinnamon and sugar, they even requested to have this on repeat! Highly recommended!
WHat delicious muffins to try this holiday season? I love the combination of flavors here.
I love anything with cinnamon, but these muffins were incredible. So much flavour!
These muffins were super easy to make and so yummy that they’re almost all gone already! Love these with my morning coffee.
These muffins were moist, perfectly sweet, and I absolutely loved the streusel topping!! It was a fun addition to the homemade brunch spread I made for my family this past weekend!
These had the perfect texture and flavor! I will certainly be making them again. 🙂