This vegetarian tortellini soup is the ultimate comfort food! It comes together quickly using packaged tortellini and it’s a flavorful weeknight meal!
It’s officially soup weather and I love soup weather. But sometimes you something a little more substantial than a traditional soup, so I decided to combine my love for pasta and my love for soup and make vegetarian tortellini soup. I’d been thinking about this for a while and when I passed the frozen tortellini at the grocery store, the answer was right there in front of me.
The Best Tortellini for Soup
You can use fresh or frozen tortellini for this soup recipe! I recommend using cheese tortellini but you could also use mushroom or any other vegetarian tortellini. I typically use the Buitoni brand, which you can often find in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. But you can also use shelf-stable brands like the Archer Farms brand from Target.
The Best Marinara for Tortellini Soup
This is a super easy recipe, and the flavor is mostly dependent on the tortellini and the marinara sauce you use. That means: don’t cheap out here. If you buy $1 marinara sauce, you’re going to taste the difference. Just saying. I picked upPrint
This easy vegetarian tortellini soup is like comfort food in a bowl! Packaged tortellini helps this soup come together in minutes!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (16oz) jar of marinara sauce
- 1 (14oz) can of Italian style diced tomatoes
- 10 oz package cheese tortellini (fresh or frozen)
- 1 oz Romano cheese (or Parmesan)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add in the diced onion and minced garlic.
- Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, or until the onions begin to soften.
- Add in the vegetable broth, marinara sauce, and diced tomatoes.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes over low heat.
- Just before serving, add in the frozen tortellini and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the pasta is tender. Scoop into bowls and, grate a little Romano cheese on top.
- You may need to add a little salt and pepper, depending on your marinara sauce.
Rao’s tomato basil is my personal favorite marinara sauce!
Keywords: vegetarian tortellini soup
We topped our soup with a blend of shredded Asiago, Fontina, Provolone, and Parmesan which made it extra cheesy and delicious.
Mmm, warm, comforting, and still somewhat healthy! This vegetarian tortellini soup makes the perfect weeknight meal!