It’s officially soup weather and I love soup weather. But sometimes you something a little more substantial than a traditional soup, so I decided to combine my love for pasta and my love for soup and make vegetarian tortellini soup. I’d been thinking about this for a while and when I passed the frozen tortellini at the grocery store, the answer was right there in front of me.
This is a super easy recipe, and the flavor is mostly dependent on the tortellini and the marinara sauce you use. That means: don’t cheap out here. If you buy $1 marinara sauce, you’re going to taste the difference. Just saying. I picked up Rao’s tomato basil sauce because it’s the absolute best pasta sauce on the face of the earth. Not kidding. But it’s not cheap, so just get whatever fits your budget. For the pasta, I went with a simple spinach and cheese tortellini but you could pretty much grab any tortellini you like!
This easy vegetarian tortellini soup is like comfort food in a bowl!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (16oz) jar of marinara sauce
- 1 (14oz) can of Italian style diced tomatoes
- 10 oz frozen cheese tortellini (generally the standard size package)
- 1 oz Romano cheese (or Parmesan)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add in the diced onion and minced garlic.
- Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, or until the onions begin to soften.
- Add in the vegetable broth, marinara sauce, and diced tomatoes.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes over low heat.
- Just before serving, add in the frozen tortellini and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the pasta is tender. Scoop into bowls and, grate a little Romano cheese on top.
- You may need to add a little salt and pepper, depending on your marinara sauce.
Rao’s tomato basil is my personal favorite marinara sauce!
We topped our soup with a blend of shredded Asiago, Fontina, Provolone, and Parmesan which made it extra cheesy and delicious.
Mmm, warm, comforting, and still somewhat healthy! This vegetarian tortellini soup makes the perfect weeknight meal!