Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins
These tender oatmeal blueberry muffins are soft and fluffy and studded with plenty of blueberries for a sweet flavor! These are a great make-ahead breakfast for busy mornings!
These oatmeal blueberry muffins are perfect for an easy breakfast on the go! And thanks to the sweet blueberries, they’re a kid-favorite! There are a few steps to making these muffins but it’s not hard to do!
How to Make Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins
Gather your ingredients and add the oats and buttermilk to a bowl. Let the oats soak for 1 hour.
In a large bowl mix together butter, brown sugar, and egg with an electric mixer.
In a separate bowl whisk together all dry ingredients.
Combine the egg mixture and oats with the dry mixture. Do this with a spatula or spoon to be sure not to over mix.
Lastly, fold in your blueberries, careful not to burst any of them.
Spoon into muffin cups lined with parchment paper or baking cups.
Bake for 20-22 minutes until golden brown.
Let the muffins finish cooling on a wire rack.
How to Store Leftover Muffins
Store leftover muffins in an airtight container for up to 4 days. These muffins can also be frozen. Store in a freezer bag and microwave for 15-20 seconds to thaw when ready to enjoy!
Tips for Perfect Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins
- Once the muffins are done let cool for 1 minute in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. This helps prevent soggy muffins.
- Do NOT over mix the batter. When mixing in the dry ingredients, mix until just combined. It’s ok if there are a few streaks of flour. This helps the muffins rise and stay fluffy.
- No buttermilk? No problem! Try these vegan blueberry muffins instead, no buttermilk required!
These tender oatmeal blueberry muffins are soft and fluffy and studded with plenty of blueberries for a sweet flavor!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- In a small bowl, combine the rolled oats and buttermilk. Soak the oats for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix the butter, brown sugar, and egg with a hand mixer.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the oat mixture to the egg mixture, then stir in the dry ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Gently fold in the blueberries until just combined.
- Divide into muffin tins and bake for 20-22 minutes.
This post was originally published in June 2014. Updated January 2021.
Keywords: oatmeal blueberry muffins
Looking for more muffin recipes? Here are a few of my favorites!