This healthy zucchini bread is lower in calories, sugar, and fat but full of flavor! It’s moist and delicious, making it the perfect recipe to use up any extra zucchini!
Can we take a moment to appreciate how versatile zucchini is? It can be spiralized into noodles, sliced into fries, or blended up into muffins. Sweet? Yes. Savory? Yes. Healthy? Of course. Is there anything it can’t do? (Ok, fine, I’m sure there are some things it can’t do.) Another bonus? It’s easy on the budget. I know healthy foods can start to get expensive, so zucchini is an excellent budget-friendly way to get in some extra veggies.
Anyways, let’s talk about this low calorie zucchini bread recipe! I was craving zucchini bread, but when I did a quick search online for a recipe, I found bread recipes that were filled with canola oil and refined sugar. Ugh! I wanted something that would satisfy my sweet craving, but if I wanted to eat something full of fat and sugar, I’d go for ice cream, not zucchini bread. You know?
So I jotted down a couple of recipes that looked good. Then I tweaked and tweaked (while plugging everything into a nutritional calculator) until I got something that I’d actually feel good about eating. If you slice up this loaf into 12 slices, each slice will be about 140 calories. It could be a little more if you add extra chocolate chips or walnuts, but at least you’re starting from a good place!
This lightened up zucchini bread is lower in calories, sugar, and fat but full of flavor! It’s moist and delicious, making it the perfect recipe to use up any extra zucchini!
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- Optional mix-ins: chocolate chips, raisins, or walnuts.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wrap the zucchini shreds in a clean dishcloth or papertowels. Squeeze it gently to remove some of the water. You should end up with 1 cup of loosely packed shredded zucchini.
- Combine the zucchini with the coconut oil, maple syrup, egg, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- I added in 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips at this point!
- Spray a 9×5 pan with non-stick spray. Pour in the batter.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar on top, if desired.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Keywords: healthy zucchini bread
The hardest part of this recipe is waiting for the loaf to cool before you slice it. I couldn’t wait more than 5 minutes, but it’s really best if you can wait an hour or so.
Look at those little zucchini flecks! And those chocolate chips, of course. Alex and I both enjoyed a slice of warm bread on Sunday afternoon. It was a sweet little snack!
Looking for other quick bread recipes? Here are a few of my favorites!