This vegan split pea soup is so easy to make and I love it because it’s packed with tons of plant based protein. That means this soup will keep you full and satisfied! It’s made with just a handful of pantry ingredients and after a bit of chopping, you’ll have this simmering on the stovetop in no time!
Split peas are a great source of fiber and protein and I buy them in the bulk bins, so they’re also cheap. I always keep a bag in the pantry and this soup is the ultimate pantry staple dinner! Sometimes I’ll serve this with a salad or a loaf of crusty bread, but it’s pretty filling on its own! It also reheats well, so it’s perfect to make on Sunday and then dish out for lunch during the week.
This delicious vegan split pea soup is an easy pantry staple dinner. Loaded with protein and fiber, this budget-friendly dinner is a great meal prep recipe!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth (see note)
- 2 cups dried green or yellow split peas
- salt & pepper
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute
- Add the onions and carrots and cook over medium heat for 7 minutes until the onions started getting soft and translucent. Stir frequently so they don’t brown.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable stock and split peas.
- Let simmer for about a hour or until the peas are soft.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it’s chunky. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can do it in a blender or food processor. Just let the soup cool slightly before blending.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
I prefer to use “not-chicken” broth for this type of recipe. Edward & Sons and Imagine Foods are both great! But you can use vegetable broth, if you prefer.
Also, the only difference between green and yellow split peas is the color, so feel free to use whatever you have on hand!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 204
Keywords: split pea soup
Craving more vegan soup recipes? Here are a few of my other favorites!