There were a few reasons why I had to make this soup.
1. Most versions I’ve seen have ham in them.
2. It’s (eventually) going to get cold around here, and I need lots of soup options.
3. This soup is so easy to make, and I can almost guarantee that you have everything in your fridge to make this.
[Vegetarian] Split Pea Soup
Delicious and easy split pea soup!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Vegetarian
- Cuisine: Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 2 cups dried split peas
- salt & pepper
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute
- Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium heat until the onions started getting soft and translucent. Stir frequently so they don’t brown.
- Add the vegetable stock, carrots and split peas.
- Let simmer for 30 minutes or until the peas are soft.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it’s chunky. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can do it in a blender or food processor. Just let the soup cool slightly before blending.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
Split peas are also a great source of fiber and protein! I buy them in the bulk bins, so they’re also cheap. What more could you ask for?
If you like this soup, definitely check out this garlic lentil soup which has a similar flavor.