This easy kale salad is made with lacinato kale, also known as dinosaur or flat-leaf kale. It’s slightly sweeter than curly kale, and it’s a delicious shredded into this salad!
Ok, let’s talk about kale. There are lots of different types: curly kale, baby kale… but today, I want to talk about lacinato kale, sometimes called dinosaur kale. Lacinato kale has large, flat, textured leaves. It’s my favorite because it’s easy to wash and easy to de-stem. (Any time I make kale, I remove the stems. That’s the really bitter part, and it’s tough to chew.)
While I certainly won’t pass on a curly kale salad, I’ve been making more lacinato kale salads because the speedier cleaning/de-stemming process means an easier salad. And I’m all about easy. So after a few kale salad combinations and some inspiration from this fall salad recipe by Sarah, I think I’ve settled into my new kale combination. I like it because it’s super crunchy!Print
This easy kale salad is made with lacinato kale, also known as dinosaur or flat-leaf kale. It’s slightly sweeter than curly kale and it’s a delicious shredded into this salad!
For the salad:
- 1 bunch of Lacinato kale (about 10 large leaves)
- 1/2 head of purple cabbage
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Start by washing and de-stemming the kale. Discard the stems.
- Slice the cabbage into long thin strips. You can do this with a knife or mandoline slicer.
- Toss with almonds and parmesan cheese.
- For the dressing, simply whisk together and drizzle over the salad.
- Top with dressing before serving. (You can put it on a few hours ahead of time, or top it right before eating.)
Keywords: lacinato kale salad
Looking for a dish to serve with this kale salad? Here are a few of my favorite ideas:
Crispy Roasted Chickpeas– Toss these on top of your salad to turn it into a quick main dish.
Moroccan Chickpea Soup– This is a hearty soup recipe with red potatoes and tasty chickpeas!