Ok, let’s talk about kale. There are lots of different types: curly kale, baby kale… but today, I want to talk about lacinato kale, sometimes called dinosaur kale. Lacinato kale has large, flat, textured leaves. It’s my favorite, because it’s easy to wash and easy to de-stem. (Any time I make kale, I remove the stems. That’s the really bitter part, and it’s really hard to chew.)
While I certainly won’t pass on a curly kale salad, I’ve been making more lactino kale salads because the speedier cleaning/de-stemming process means and easier salad. And I’m all about easy. So after a few kale salad combinations and some inspiration from this fall salad recipe by Sarah, I think I’ve settled into my new kale combination. I like it because it’s super crunchy, even the leftovers!Print
Easy Lacinato Kale Salad
This easy Lacinato kale salad is crunchy and delicious!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
For the salad:
- 1 bunch of Lacinato kale (about 10 large leaves)
- 1/2 head of purple cabbage
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Your favorite Caesar dressing
- Start by washing and de-stemming the kale. Discard the stems.
- Slice the cabbage into long thin strips. You can do this with a knife or mandoline slicer.
- Toss with almonds and parmesan cheese.
- Top with dressing before serving. (You can put it on a few hours ahead of time, or top it right before eating.)
- For the dressing, simply whisk together and drizzle over the salad.
Sometimes I do an olive oil + lemon juice dressing. Sometimes I use my current favorite Caesar dressing. (Which, at the moment, is Drew’s.) I try to make this salad in big batches so I have lots of leftovers. This serves 4 as a small main dish or a large side dish.
I made this salad on Saturday afternoon, in between packing up boxes, but I made sure to have leftover to pack for lunch today! Seriously, I can’t get enough kale.
I’ll be making lots of easy recipes this week, since it’s only a few more days until the move! I’m trying to clean out the fridge so that we have a little less to pack. We’ll see how that goes.