This creamy vegetarian tomato soup tastes like the classic comfort food but it’s secretly loaded with vegetables! Carrots and celery make a hearty base for this deliciously rich but healthy soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 large celery stalks, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery and cook for 8-10 minutes until the onion is translucent and the vegetables have softened slightly.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes, and fire roasted tomatoes and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the cream cheese and stir until combined.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup to your desired consistency. Or, let the soup cool slightly and carefully transfer to a blender. When blending, remove the center of the blender cap to allow steam to escape while blending.
- Add salt to taste, if needed.
This recipe makes about 8 cups of soup. This could serve 3-6 people depending on if you’re serving it as a main dish or side dish.
Keywords: creamy tomato soup