I tried Broccoli Cheddar Soup for the first time just a few years ago. Partly due to my unwillingness to try anything new when I was younger, and partly due to my aversion of “creamy” soups when I was older. Needless to say, I wish I had tried it a while ago because it’s quite delicious. It’s certainly not winning awards for the healthiest soup on earth but it doesn’t have to be a nutritional disaster to be tasty.
When I opened Alex’s fridge yesterday and saw a few crowns of broccoli I figured this was my chance to give it a try. Since spring seems a little shy to come out these days, the cooler Easter afternoon seemed like a good occasion for soup. Eaten with some of our leftovers from Ipanema cafe, we enjoyed this broccoli cheddar soup while sunshine streamed in through the windows before we set off for church.
Once you have your ingredients ready to go, this soup comes together pretty quickly!
Once the onion and broccoli have started to soften, you just add the broth, milk, and cheese! After a quick blend, you’ll have dinner ready to go!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This creamy broccoli cheddar soup is loaded with vegetables and packed with flavor!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6 cups
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- 2 crowns of broccoli
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups skim milk, divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- salt & pepper to taste
- Roughly chop the broccoli and dice the onion.
- Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until the broccoli has softened.
- Transfer half the soup to a blender and blend. Transfer the soup back to the pot. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender to gently blend the soup, slightly.
- Add the milk and cheese and heat over low heat, stirring until the cheese has melted.
Keywords: Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Blending part of the soup will give it a bit of a green hue but trust me, this soup tastes very cheesy! Blending just half of the soup will give it a super creamy base but it’ll still have lots of broccoli chunks. I like leaving some of the broccoli chunky because it makes the soup feel more substantial!
Sure, it’s not the “lightest” soup in the world, but it makes about 6 servings, with around 230 calories per serving. Definitely not terrible, slightly better than Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup, to give you an idea. I’m sure I’ll make this again when I have some extra broccoli in the fridge!